Admiral events coverage

Just been reading this on another forum. 

Worth checking for anyone with admiral

"

Admiral's "Organised motoring event" exclusion

So I have my Cayman covered on a dual-car policy with Admiral. Back when I took the policy out, I contacted them via telephone to query the "organised motoring event" exclusion that I had noticed on the policy document. Specifically it states:

General Exceptions

h. used to participate in any test, competition or organised motoring event

Sounded ominous but their support told me not to worry, it is intended for things like rallying which is backed up by this mention on one of their magazine guides:

11. Driving in unusual locations

We don’t cover you for driving your car in dangerous or unusual places like racecourses. We also won’t cover you for organised motorsports or rallying. 

Your policy book can let you know more, and you can always contact us through webchat if you’re confused. 

Then I started to hear lots of talk about Admiral potentially not covering PCGB drives. At first, I thought this was scaremongering so set out to confirm. It took some months and persistence but they finally got their underwriters to answer the following coverage scenarios that I had put to them:

1. A driver training day at CAT Driver Training
2. A PCGB tour of Scotland
3. A Sunday morning drive with other members of PCGB
4. Displaying my car in a field at PCGB event
5. Driving my car near my house with a friend who owns a Jaguar F-Type

Of these five scenarios, only the last was covered by my policy. Glad it happens to be up for renewal in the next two weeks!

9 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

1. A driver training day at CAT Driver Training
2. A PCGB tour of Scotland
3. A Sunday morning drive with other members of PCGB
4. Displaying my car in a field at PCGB event
5. Driving my car near my house with a friend who owns a Jaguar F-Type

Of these five scenarios, only the last was covered by my policy. Glad it happens to be up for renewal in the next two weeks!

Number 1 in understandable and expected.

but the rest, what a crazy situation, so many holes in that.

How do I know if I'm out for a run with friends that own Porsches or if they are friends with Porsches that have PCGB membership? Would I need to check each ones membership status first before going for a run?

What if the F-Type owner was also a member of PCGB?

I imagine if one company has these exceptions other will too. As usual most only find out when they need to claim and the insurance co will find one of these exceptions and call it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMA said:

Number 1 in understandable and expected.

but the rest, what a crazy situation, so many holes in that.

How do I know if I'm out for a run with friends that own Porsches or if they are friends with Porsches that have PCGB membership? Would I need to check each ones membership status first before going for a run?

What if the F-Type owner was also a member of PCGB?

I imagine if one company has these exceptions other will too. As usual most only find out when they need to claim and the insurance co will find one of these exceptions and call it out.

I imagine the PCGB part is only because he is a PCGB member that does a lot of PCGB events that he specifically asked about. One then presumes any "organised" driving or display event regardless of which organisation's event it is.

Quite worrying🤔

Edited by JurassicBGTS

Another reminder not to insure with Admiral or their sub brands Bell, Elephant, Diamond and Veygo. They’re always the ones cutting cover. I think they also require you to declare all the factory fitted extras even when it’s an old car and you haven’t a clue.

• Like 1

Insurance, the devil is in the detai, which you often don't find out until its to late. Based on my experience, 3 & 5 and probably 2 are the same thing. 4 should be covered by the club insurance and that is one of the reasons such events are members only. I am not in any Porsche Clubs but TVR and Triumph covered you for club events if you had the "club" discount from a club approved insurer. Covered me for Grand Prix circuit at Brandshatch and Milbrook Proving ground. 

Ask how comprehensive the European cover is. That could be a bit of a surprise as well.