Mot fail on emissions

mortzz

Hi all , had to use a new mot station as I've moved to Wales, car failed on Lambda emissions to high, the thing Is when I asked how much it failed on they said there wasn't any paperwork just that it's failed, is that correct?  , I dont want to get arsey with them yet, they then sold me some stuff to put in ya tank and go and give it some right foot,  I've looked at a old mot from 2021 and it shows it passed on 1.028, and max limit was 1.030 only just passed , if I change Lambda would you recommend changing all 4

1 minute ago, Nobbie said:

When mine failed for Lamda it was due to failing exhaust joints letting oxygen in and upsetting the readings. Might be worth checking for leaks before changing sensors.

Thanks mate I'm having new tyre's put on today and there going to try the emissions again will ask them to check,  it's got the oem exhaust on from new so over 20years old

There is usually the wisdom of giving it a good old thrash to get everything well hot before putting it in for the exam, not just pottering round on a barely warm engine.  I don't know if that affects the particular reading you are talking about.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/8-nuisance#section-8-2-1-1

"If the vehicle fails the emissions test, a copy of the result print out must be given to the customer. The VTS must keep a readily retrievable record of the result for 3 months."

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, iborguk said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/8-nuisance#section-8-2-1-1

"If the vehicle fails the emissions test, a copy of the result print out must be given to the customer. The VTS must keep a readily retrievable record of the result for 3 months."

That's what's bothering me I thought that 

The Mot station have said they have tried and still can't get it through emissions so they will scan it and try and see which lambda sensor as there are 4, even though there is no EML on.. or it could be the cats, they have said that they can't see any leaks from the exhaust.. I asked again about the paperwork for emissions and he said his machine has stopped printing but I think it should still show you it is out and what's failed..  has anyone else had this problem