Crazing/peeling headlights - what do I do?

Maxthedane

My 2013 Boxster has the problem of headlights crazing and then clear coat lacquer peeling off to leave a matt opaque headlight unit. It looks awful but I suspect worse - it’s now impeding the headlight beam. 

Anyone had this?  Anyone solved it?  Advice/solutions needed please. Thanks for your help!26BB25D2-BE62-4E2A-A9B2-CFF991527311.jpeg.20050a45a6ce0c4fbd5d08d210b51c0c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You can buy new headlamps from Porsche, or you can buy replacement lenses from Ebay and have a go at replacing yourself or you can use a company like the one listed in this thread:

Edited by CMA
  • Like 1

I haven't had this happen to my car, but, there's a top-end bodyshop near me that refurb these. They basically polish the light and then lacquer them in their oven with a proper two pack one. Lights look super crisp and clear once done. 

• Like 1

The place that does the headlights is a regular bodyshop, albeit they do high-end cars generally and not bangers. 

They sand out any yellowing or damage and then use a high quality two-pack optically clear lacquer on them in a proper spray booth. 

They're called Glasgow Smart Repair Centre and are based in Glasgow. Ironically, they don't do smart repairs! 

They have a Facebook page. 

• Like 1

I have no idea if the Gtecniq product should be applied to headlights, what I know for certain is that in your case either it shouldn't or the prep work was poor. The good news is that the headlights are probably perfect underneath, worst case scenario is a polish that you can do yourself if you wish with one of the kits on the market. Yet another example of an OPC poor service, another option of course is to go back to them and give them a verbal kicking (the route I favour)

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 1:40 PM, iborguk said:

Wow !

2OaAsmZ.jpeg

This is what happened to mine back in that warm spell in june after covering car with a dark colour cover, hap them polished out which improved them 90% , but with a little more sanding/polishing i think they would be perfect, albeit without a hard top glaze, they are PPf covered at present, see below after polishing

2 hours ago, Terryg said:

I have no idea if the Gtecniq product should be applied to headlights, what I know for certain is that in your case either it shouldn't or the prep work was poor. The good news is that the headlights are probably perfect underneath, worst case scenario is a polish that you can do yourself if you wish with one of the kits on the market. Yet another example of an OPC poor service, another option of course is to go back to them and give them a verbal kicking (the route I favour)

Me neither.  OPC weren't happy with the result either so took the car back and lent me a 911 GTS Cabrio for 5 days.. 

3 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

To be honest the 911 cabrio wasn't for me one bit..  Would have preferred a hard top, but that wasn't an option at the time.  it's >6 years ago now too.

I would be the same, first world problems huh?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...