Coffin arm ball joints

832ark

15 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Hartech used to refurb these but not any more as its probably not cost effective. The Spyder performance ones are your best bet. Link

Front and rear arms are different on a 987

Cheers, yeah my other option is the polybushed Spyder bundle. Waiting for their next 15% off sale.

23 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Hartech used to refurb these but not any more as its probably not cost effective. The Spyder performance ones are your best bet. Link

Front and rear arms are different on a 987

I think Darren at Unique Porsche has taken over the hartech contract on the coffin arms ( he probably fitted more than hartech themselves😂)

I recently went there for some plates for my new to me 996, i asked about the creaking my car makes when its been driven for a few hours when hot, he put it up on a ramp and pointed at the “cheap chinese made” spyder arms. Whilst they work, it is believed the grease fitted to the ball joints is insufficient/low quality and is less effective over time, as he has replaced spyder arms before prematurely compared to OE, as we all know spyder are considerably cheaper than OE though.

My car has a lot of non standard suspension parts fitted, so pinning down the creaks will take me some time, it may be a combination of components, not just the spyder arms.

I know i sing the praises of Unique Porsche before, but they really do a great service, i only went for plates but he was happy to get my new car on the lift, mainly to look at brake lines to check it was safe, and let me have a good look underneath, all for free!

7 minutes ago, Philc said:

I recently went there for some plates for my new to me 996, i asked about the creaking my car makes when its been driven for a few hours when hot, he put it up on a ramp and pointed at the “cheap chinese made” spyder arms. Whilst they work, it is believed the grease fitted to the ball joints is insufficient/low quality and is less effective over time, as he has replaced spyder arms before prematurely compared to OE, as we all know spyder are considerably cheaper than OE though.

My car has a lot of non standard suspension parts fitted, so pinning down the creaks will take me some time, it may be a combination of components, not just the spyder arms

There do not seem to be a lot of choices available for tuning forks and coffin arms other than Spyder ones. Happy to be corrected here if anyone can direct me to Trw or myle parts being available?

11 hours ago, Philc said:

I think Darren at Unique Porsche has taken over the hartech contract on the coffin arms ( he probably fitted more than hartech themselves😂)

My car has a lot of non standard suspension parts fitted, so pinning down the creaks will take me some time, it may be a combination of components, not just the spyder arms.

I know i sing the praises of Unique Porsche before, but they really do a great service, i only went for plates but he was happy to get my new car on the lift, mainly to look at brake lines to check it was safe, and let me have a good look underneath, all for free!

Interesting this, as I am talking to Spyder about an early failure on a 986 ball joint (3 yrs 15k miles).  Dean claims to only be aware of 3 failures in all the time they've supplied coffin arms.  He's offering an out of warranty replacement with no quibble.  Is Darren telling Spyder about these?  If no one gives feed back how can they improve them?

Darren fitted a pair of then Hartech arms to my old boxster a few years back, my memory isn’t great but i seem to recall the surcharge only applied if the arms replaced weren’t original porsche. 
I’m sure the same still applies, only original porsche arms get remanufactured, anything else is just scrapped.

7 hours ago, T911UK said:

We list the Meyle coffin arms front and back and front tuning forks for the 987

Rear tuning forks seem to be Porsche only at present

Does this apply to 986 as well or are they the same 986/987? 

57 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Does this apply to 986 as well or are they the same 986/987? 

986 rear tuning fork from TRW (Porsche OE supplier)  JTC1186.  Should be able to get them for about £100 each if you shop around but make sure they have stock.  Can't get their coffin arms any more and front tuning forks are rare. It seems Spyder are about half the price of most other options, and they have stock....

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

986 rear tuning fork from TRW (Porsche OE supplier)  JTC1186.  Should be able to get them for about £100 each if you shop around but make sure they have stock.  Can't get their coffin arms any more and front tuning forks are rare. It seems Spyder are about half the price of most other options, and they have stock....

Doesn’t seem to be a lot of stock around that’s for sure. 

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I cant see any supply of TRW ones other than in USA.

1 minute ago, T911UK said:

TRW got the sack from Porsche for selling to the aftermarket, not sure who supply Porsche now.

Ah, so may be not waiting on a new batch of production.  Could be interesting Sachs do as well, as I had a set of front top mounts that clearly had the Porsche details ground off but still with factory plating over the grinding.