Valved exhaust on 986.1 S with a sports exhaust button

Ol' Shatterhand

My cats and stock muffler have perished. I will be getting new 400 cell cats and a new stainless steel muffler installed as soon as I have the cash (just need to rob a bank or sell a kidney first...). I'm looking at the non-sausage OEM-style Dansk muffler. I have not been reading good things about droning ebay aftermarket mufflers and resonance killers. Not sure what the point of the Dansk sausage is, I gather it's not much lighter than the OEM-style one and any horsepower increase is likely to be negligible and offset by a decrease in mid-range torque. Besides, the sausage just looks wrong. 

My Indy asked me if I want standard or sports sound. I said I'd rather not have any motorway drone, so standard would probably be best. But then there was mention of a switchable exhaust system, operated via remote control. I know there is Spyder Performance valved muffler bypass system and Design 911 also lists a valved Dansk muffler and the vacuum valve kit to go with it. My car is a pre-facelift manual S.

Now, I know that the 996 and 986.2 had a sports exhaust option with a console operated button. I also understand the 986.2 had matte black switches while 996 had gloss black ones like the 986.1.

So I am wondering, is there a valved 986.2 system with a 996 switch I could install, and make it work with the Dansk muffler? Failing that, is there a way to make a 996 PSE switch work with the Design 911 actuator hardware, rather than have a non-OEM fob in the cabin?

Any thoughts? 

The factory system is incredibly complex & expensive, reverting to normal exhaust between 30 & 40MPH IIRC to comply with EU restrictions. I developed a solid state relay board to take the 996 PSE switch inputs & output 12V to an aftermarket vacuum solenoid which controls the valves. That way I decide when it's open.

986.1 did not have a switch on the dashboard.  It worked completely of engine vaccum.

It' is not very load and no drone.  One of my vacuum solenoid melted due to a cheap repair so I had both sides welded to always open.  This was still quieter than a standard 981. 

The bypass pipes can be cheaply welded in place - IIRC £175 was the going price.

If you are looking at aftermarket - ensure there is a balance pipe between each side. That will remove the majority of drone, the "sausage " does this naturally by sharing the same silencer.

I think you will find that Spider Performance and La Rose, are all owned by Roly of Eporsch