Genuine 987 mats not as good quality as original?

Daveb975

I've just picked up some new mats for my 987 from the OPC - the first replacements in 18 years!

As soon as I unpacked them I noticed that they are much thinner and lighter-weight than the original mats, and have a completely different backing. They are still nice, but I doubt these are going to last 18 years.

Has anyone else noticed similar?

They stopped making the original spec ones and the  various colours after a while and now supply a thinner set in black only. 

Original were approximately 12mm thick. The 'new' ones are 6mm.

Edited by The Caped Crusader

12 hours ago, The Caped Crusader said:

They stopped making the original spec ones and the  various colours after a while and now supply a thinner set in black only. 

They are still available in all colours

13 hours ago, The Caped Crusader said:

Mine are Sand Beige. They didn't have them in stock but were able to get them within two working days.

The 12mm to 6mm sounds about right.

It's a shame one I order them it gave me the confidence to really soak and scrub my original mats which have actually come up ok in the end, apart from the fact that the extreme amount of water I had to use has creased up the leather trim quite significantly.

• 3 weeks later...