Driveshaft cost

nelmo

3 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Yes, those are the 4 numbers I had before - is one set for the 5-speed v. 6-speed, maybe?

(That link to the parts online catalogue doesn't seem to show anything apart from a few 'lifestyle' products?)

Paul from Torque Porsche is checking breakers for me...

The ones I gave are from the parts cat downloadable from Porsche and are for the 6 Speed.  @T911UK has given the up issued part numbers that you'd get for a 6 speed if you ordered new form Porsche now.  All are 6 speed manual 987.1 drive shafts.

Parts cat can be downloaded here:

Porsche Classic Genuine Parts Catalogue - Porsche Great Britain

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ½cwt said:

They should have a rectangular white label with barcode and part number?

Douglas Valley only have Tiptronic shafts listed at the moment, but might be worth dropping Steve a note.  The ones I can see on eBay look pretty ropey.  Teile.com on Germany have what looks like a refurbished on, but still about £240 delivered...

After 15 years+ not many of those labels are much good, if you can read them off the shaft you have had a right result!

Basically, tips different, 5 and 6 speed different so you need to make sure

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2023 at 12:53 PM, ATM said:

Take wheel off

Remove big nut from driveshaft and then use pusher to push driveshaft out of hub - pic 1

Might need to remove some of the suspension links / joints to get it to move around enough for clearance - I would remove the inside joints where the tracing adjusters are as these are easier to remove - no ball joint splitting - pic 2

Once the outboard end is free you need to unbolt the 6 bolts holding it to the half shaft - pic 3

Tracking

I'd say an hour should be fine for a competent mechanic - per side

Again you don't need to do both sides - just the busted one

20190224-154033.jpg

20190210-135308.jpg

20191019-135311.jpg

I still think your 981 thread is both risky & the best thread on the forum for the revival of a car to date. 

But in this instance fairly useful as a guide to wonder where somebody can justify £1600 of their time to do the above. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cocky said:

I still think your 981 thread is both risky & the best thread on the forum for the revival of a car to date. 

But in this instance fairly useful as a guide to wonder where somebody can justify £1600 of their time to do the above. 

Currently embarking on refurbish of the drive shafts with my 986. Maybe I will update this thread as I go - as well as my car's blog.

So far all I have done is loosen the big nut and then raise car. Left it like this outside the house and will do bits weather and time permitting. 

Loosening big nut easiest with car on the ground - just pop off centre caps - little pin for that - especially if working solo. Can't remember socket size but the biggest one in my half inch set. Same size on 981 as 986. I just applied pressure using my persuader. Did consider extending this with the jack lever pole but got them loosened off without. So just the tool as you see in pic. Tool was only cheap from Machine mart - nothing fancy. It was bending and scaring me but it managed the job. I've seen some people position a jack under the hinge point to prevent twist force causing failure but like I say wasn't needed here. I will presume these have never been off and therefore factory / 22 years tight. No WD or penetrating fluid. Just brute force. 

20231017-170540.jpg

20231017-172613.jpg

I think this is repairable without removing anything. Clean up all the grease with a wire brush, brake cleaner, etc. Then just apply something to the seam all the way around. I'd go with seam sealer (as I've got a huge pot of it) but a silicone sealant, tiger seal, etc would do the trick. Then just don't drive it until it's fully set. All it needs to do is stop the grease coming out. 

I once built hybrid driveshafts using the 986 ends on 987 shafts, I split them where this seam that is leaking is. I tack welded the new ends on and just ran silicone around the joint and it was fine. 

13 hours ago, ATM said:

Brand new

91.99 delivered

Why is the 986 driveshaft so darn cheap?! They look identical- almost tempted to just try it 😜.   I'll try message that ebay seller, see if he can get 987 ones....

Edited by nelmo

53 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Why is the 986 driveshaft so darn cheap?! 

I am guessing 

They may share parts with other cars or vans

In general you have the 2 ends and the bar down the middle. If the ends are shared with other cars or vans then these volumes may reduce the price. Dare I say it was also a common car.

If you look at different shafts from different vehicles they are all basically the same. The ends are very similar and the bars in between are just that with splines on each end.

I did dabble with drive shafts on my 981 and 2 very similar looking turned out to be completely different. So the circumference of the end with the 6 bolts in was different between the 2.7 and the 3.4 and I know this because I tried to fit a 2.7 shaft to my 3.4 and obviously it didn't fit. I assume the wheel end was the same but the joint could have been a different circumference. Maybe to handle more power - no idea. If I was Porsche I would simplify and use the same shaft on both engines. But what do I know. 

There was also a length difference between the manual and the PDK. Something about the PDK box being wider than the manual and therefore the shafts were shorter. So on the 981 there were 4 different shaft options.