What year to call my Boxster?

DeeCee

I have owned this 986 Boxster S since 2009, making this 14 years in my care ...

B1.thumb.jpg.6ffbe848578fca4e24b14f20e9498aeb.jpg

It was sold by its second owner as a 2001 model. In all the years I have owned it, it has been licensed as a 2001 Boxster S. 

This past year I have done a bunch of upgrades or improvements: IMS bearing along with a new clutch, wonderful Alpine/Pioneer/Focal music system that brings a smile to my face ... when not listening to the sound of the engine as it hits 5000 rpm :)  The top was replaced some time back for and now has a heated glass rear window. The latest change has been 17" Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on BBS/Carrera wheels (I preferred 17" over 18" for the ride quality). Head- and tail lights are now clear and not runny egg. There are a number of other smaller mods. 

All these changes and attention to details ... and only recently it occurred to me that this Boxster S is not a 2001 but a 2002. How can this be?

Well, I looked up the Vin, and this states:

Porsche 986

Model 986 - Manufacture Year 2002

Boxster Cabriolét (RoW spec)

3.2-Ltr, 250-bhp, Mid-engined Flat 6-Cyl

Yet the registration certificate at the local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) notes ...

Registration expiry: 04 Nov 2023 Year of manufacture: 2001

Year/Month of compliance:  2001-12

This suggests that the car was first registered or built (not sure which) in December 2001. 

So ... what is this Boxster S - 2001 or 2002?

Regards from Perth, Australia

Derek

Edited by DeeCee

If like my 987, there might be a barcode with a date on the crossbar under the rear bumper. 
We talk about Model Years, which are from July the year before until June of that year, approx. Confusing. 
Registration date is irrelevant, cars can sit for months to be registered. 

Hi @DeeCee welcome to BoXa.net.

As far as Porsche is concerned it is the model year, which runs August to July* with 2001 production starting in August 2000 and running to July 2001, 2002 from Aug 2001 to Jul 2002 etc.

*(from 2009 onwards it starts in June and ends in May)

What is the 10th digit of the VIN? 

djGZF9L.jpg 

For reference the model year digit for the 986 starts at V for 1997, W for 1998, X for 1999, Y for 2000, 1 for 2001, 2 for 2002, 3 for 2003, 4 for 2004.  This code applies to all Porsches and runs alternating alpha and numeric sequences.  Thankfully the didn't make 2001 Z which would make the number one out to the year.  Must have messed with their Teutonic heads to omit the Z though...

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

What is the 10th digit of the VIN? ..... 

For reference the model year digit for the 986 starts at V for 1997, W for 1998, X for 1999, Y for 2000, 1 for 2001, 2 for 2002, 3 for 2003, 4 for 2004. ....

The tenth number is a 2 ... which support the year as 2002!

Thanks.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

This Boxster does tick the boxes for 2002 (as when I first received it) .... not that I expect there to be any visible differences with a 2001 for the S version.

I imagine that the 2001 derivation was given as it would have been purchased new in December 2001. I doubt that the DMV would alter that. I could refer to it as a 2002 model ... one reason I ask all this is what to advertise when eventually the car is sold (hopefully not for many years).

Original interior ...

Boxster-audio3.jpg

Updated interior ...

B6a.jpg

Alpine Ilx-507a head unit showing. In the tray is a 1Tb SSD with FLAC files. The original amplifier was replaced with another from Alpine, Speakers replaced with Focal. Pioneer self-powered sub behind the passenger seat.

Changed the gear shift knob for an old school one by IXI. Still a little on the fence here. Open to suggestions and opinions.

Regards from Perth

Derek