Which iPhones can connect to 987.2 PCM?

Chaz

Hi,

Looking for an answer to this seems like finding a needle in a haystack.  The PCM I have in the MY 20210 987.2S has a manual from 02//10 and a SIM card slot (not the bulky phone handset, thankfully).  The manual says that the phone needs to support Bluetooth Hands Free Profile 1.0 or higher and I've got an iPhone 13 mini (which must clear that bar by a country mile).  I've only tried connecting it a couple of times, but no luck and it just times out.

Does anyone have a magic wand or other tricks to get this to work?

Thanks

Chaz   

• Like 1

I had a MY2009 pcm3.0 with phone and it worked with an iphone X.

Had to get the phone module removed (by coding) so that the pcm used “hands free profile” instead of “remote sim access”. What protocol does your pcm screen show when trying to set up?

I believe it is user selectable on later software revisions but mine was on original and had never been updated.

My 987.2 works fine for calls on Bluetooth with the PCM 3.0 on my iPhone 11, I think it was pretty easy to get it to connect from memory

I also have a invery plugged into the ipod slot in the centre console to play music and Podcasts etc on Bluetooth as well

52749830113_484acb9f8b_o_d.jpg

• Like 1

Only calls supported not music ( without other hardware as above ) and I have a vague memory of a pcm software update that updated the Bluetooth. But. I have had 2x987..2 and my first one came with very old software on the pcm and that connected fine for calls. iPhone 7 and 2nd gen SE for me. 

suggest pairing the other way round (if you had car looking for phone the try phone looking for car or vice versa )

As @Paul P  says, it depends on the software version.  iPhones use the rSAP protocol, and if the PCM firmware is prior to v2.23 and you have the i666 phone module fitted, it isn't compatible, as it only supports HFP.  There is a workaround if you have the phone module and older firmware.  If you "un-code" the phone module with Piwis, it has the effect of enabling i619, 'mobile phone preparation' which supports HFP and rSAP.

To check the firmware (although Porsche call it software) press INFO and SOURCE at the same time.  The firmware can be updated to v2.25, but if you do that, all the map data will be unreadable, and you have to install later maps (at a cost).

Edited by Richard Hamilton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, amazingly detailed advice from all, particularly the last post (thanks, Richard).  I will check the software version I have, but from what you say mine should be late enough.  However, I think I may have the i666 phone module from a quick google on what that is - my PCM looks the same as the picture above, with the SIM socket.

Will report back.

Thanks

Chaz 

• 3 weeks later...

I did the Mr12volt car play upgrade on mine and it works great - the advantage is if you dont have the aux in/phone module (which actually i do have) it can go via the Mr12v upgrade. I didnt video it as there are already a couple of good tutorials on youtube but it works great, gives on screen waze and spotify plus a USB in which i have in the glovebox with a mem stick in it.

Its a good mod in my opinion as it looks totaly stock and gives full touchscreen car play/android auto interface. The resolution isnt as good as my audi but then again its an old unit now.

Before i did this i bought a cheap(ish) usb to 3.5 in BT adapter which would also do handsfree if required (say if you can pair) - this was pretty good

Edited by the911sc