Wet boot carpet

BBB

I was checking the roof drain holes today (all clear thankfully), but when I opened the boot there was an odd smell. I have a rubber boot liner that is tailored to the 987, i.e. closely fitting and when I lifted this the carpet was wet underneath, mainly in the rear left corner, but there were some white mould marks randomly over most of the carpet. 

I’ve taken the carpet out to dry and clean. It’s very thin so, unlike the interior carpet it will dry quickly. Thankfully the leak isn’t near the coolant filler cap, so the reservoir is not the culprit. It looks like water is coming over the left, rear rubber seal (coming over the boot lid edge and running underneath). I’m leaving the carpet out for a few days and I’ll check again but I’m puzzled what to do to stop the leak. The only thing I can think is to adjust the rubber stopper on the left corner of the boot lid, but the boot settles nicely in relation to the spoiler, so it’s not too high.

Any thoughts?

And a warning for others with the boot liner, to check underneath.

8 minutes ago, iborguk said:

What condition does the rear boot weatherstrip look to be in ? Maybe link a couple of photos up for further suggestions ? 

It looks great, nice and plump, untorn, but it was wet on its upper surface on the left hand side, where the leak seems to be. It’s not going under the weatherstrip as it seems to be a really tight fit.

• Like 1

AN8QyOx.jpg

I adjusted this (4mm allen key) so the boot closes lower.

nSVO50S.jpg

The seal looks good.

6F7f7BH.jpg

Also cleaned the drain holes under the spoiler as two were blocked and there was lots of debris in the crease line.  Unrelated to the leak I think, but useful to do anyway.

Edit: gummipleged the seal anyway, to make sure it’s flexible. And checked around the light cluster and all is dry.

Edited by BBB
removed underlining and added comments

1 hour ago, BBB said:

AN8QyOx.jpg

I adjusted this (4mm allen key) so the boot closes lower.

nSVO50S.jpg

The seal looks good.

6F7f7BH.jpg

Also cleaned the drain holes under the spoiler as two were blocked and there was lots of debris in the crease line.  Unrelated to the leak I think, but useful to do anyway.

Edit: gummipleged the seal anyway, to make sure it’s flexible. And checked around the light cluster and all is dry.

The drain plan shows drains for the spoiler. But I thought they were buried.  Where are the spoiler drains you cleared.  ? 

4 hours ago, BBB said:

I was checking the roof drain holes today (all clear thankfully), but when I opened the boot there was an odd smell. I have a rubber boot liner that is tailored to the 987, i.e. closely fitting and when I lifted this the carpet was wet underneath, mainly in the rear left corner, but there were some white mould marks randomly over most of the carpet. 

I’ve taken the carpet out to dry and clean. It’s very thin so, unlike the interior carpet it will dry quickly. Thankfully the leak isn’t near the coolant filler cap, so the reservoir is not the culprit. It looks like water is coming over the left, rear rubber seal (coming over the boot lid edge and running underneath). I’m leaving the carpet out for a few days and I’ll check again but I’m puzzled what to do to stop the leak. The only thing I can think is to adjust the rubber stopper on the left corner of the boot lid, but the boot settles nicely in relation to the spoiler, so it’s not too high.

Any thoughts?

And a warning for others with the boot liner, to check underneath.

I think my problem of this kind was caused by my own ignorance, I fitted a cover over the roof where the loose end at the rear was fed thru into the boot ( when closed ) to hold it firm but every time it rained the water ran down off the roof and bypassed the drain channel and ended up going straight into my boot, that was during the summer and still stinks

Dumb BellaBoy does it again

3 hours ago, Paul P said:

The drain plan shows drains for the spoiler. But I thought they were buried.  Where are the spoiler drains you cleared.  ? 

They are the series of about five oval holes you can see in the middle of the last picture. I flushed that area with a hose and it ran down each hole. They are under the spoiler, so I raised it with the switch.

Edited by BBB