Approx clutch replacement cost

ricof

I have a compact trolley jack that I used to support getting the gearbox on and off so as @bally4563 says, off was no problem, back on was tricky but doable. As the rear of my car was in the air on jack stands I had to tilt the gearbox downward to make it align correctly(!)

The gearbox is definitely too heavy to man handle on your back so you will need some kind of support even if it's only a trolley jack. I also replaced the transmission mounts whilst I was there but they are not cheap (about £200 for a pair if I recall) - ebay job from the USA.

Oh and I replaced the gear shifter cables as they snapped when removing them due to corrosion approx. £260 from Porsche dealer as they were cheaper than second hand on ebay and cheaper than the Numeric cables at the time.

I learnt to always check prices with Porsche as they can be surprisingly competitive (some times!)

On 1/22/2024 at 9:47 PM, Sword said:

I have a compact trolley jack that I used to support getting the gearbox on and off so as @bally4563 says, off was no problem, back on was tricky but doable. As the rear of my car was in the air on jack stands I had to tilt the gearbox downward to make it align correctly(!)

The gearbox is definitely too heavy to man handle on your back so you will need some kind of support even if it's only a trolley jack.

I refitted my original exhaust back box. So similar story with car raised and you lie beneath. I couldn't get the jack to work as it got in my way. So I had to position the box on my stomach and then hip thrust it up into position. At first the car was too high so I had to lower it a bit.

Anyway I doubt I'd be able to do that with a much heavier gearbox. Although it does get me thinking about a device which can raise a flat surface like a mini table but does it from the sides so you can still be beneath in the lay down position and then reach up. So maybe the table top surface needs to be some form of criss cross with big holes for your arms to fit through. I'm not explaining this very well.

Can I ask, does the gearbox click into position and will this hold without any bolts in. So before you get a bolt in can it rest in the correct position without any help from the jack etc? Or will it just come crashing back down?

3 hours ago, ATM said:

I refitted my original exhaust back box. So similar story with car raised and you lie beneath. I couldn't get the jack to work as it got in my way. So I had to position the box on my stomach and then hip thrust it up into position. At first the car was too high so I had to lower it a bit.

Anyway I doubt I'd be able to do that with a much heavier gearbox. Although it does get me thinking about a device which can raise a flat surface like a mini table but does it from the sides so you can still be beneath in the lay down position and then reach up. So maybe the table top surface needs to be some form of criss cross with big holes for your arms to fit through. I'm not explaining this very well.

Can I ask, does the gearbox click into position and will this hold without any bolts in. So before you get a bolt in can it rest in the correct position without any help from the jack etc? Or will it just come crashing back down?

You could but that’s a lot of weight on the output shaft, once in jack still taking the weight and a couple of bolts would be my advice 

On 1/7/2024 at 11:29 AM, ATM said:

Even if you are not it's worth travelling for good service. If you don't know he started out as a keen DIYer and then progressed to full time business. I have never used his service but have seen him being very helpful and knowledgeable with forum members in the past. If I ever need help because I give up with my drive to DIY I'd consider his service even though he is miles and miles away from Me. We need to encourage people like this who create a start up business to work on these cars even though most other people would consider that to be financial suicide. 

Paul did a great job on my clutch, flywheel & RMS. Really helpful, top bloke.

• Like 1