Approx clutch replacement cost

ricof

The clutch on my 987.1 2.7 5 speed needs doing soon. Can anyone indicate approximately how much this could cost? I will have the RMS seal replaced too as a matter of course and possibly change to a lightened flywheel.

I am based in London but can travel if prices are more favourable.

Thank you!

Haven't got the bill for mine but I'm told it will be more than we originally thought :(  Didn't help that he found and changed a leaking water pump while there.  Will also depend on which part you buy...

15 minutes ago, ricof said:

The clutch on my 987.1 2.7 5 speed needs doing soon. Can anyone indicate approximately how much this could cost? I will have the RMS seal replaced too as a matter of course and possibly change to a lightened flywheel.

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Haven't got the bill for mine but I'm told it will be more than we originally thought :(  Didn't help that he found and changed a leaking water pump while there.  Will also depend on which part you buy...

Ask Eporsche for a quote , your neck of the woods but with the flywheel I would expect circa £800

2 hours ago, ricof said:

Thank you!

Contact Paul at Torque Boxsters, he's fairly local to you.

2 hours ago, greenman986s said:

Cotswold Porsche (see ad on this site) is c£1000 for clutch (£750), new RMS (£89)and new IMS bearing (£165) for a 986s - cant see yours being much different

Except the IMS bearing, unless a very early 987, you need to split the crank case to get to them....

3 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Revolution Porsche have fixed price on their website - bit of a way for you but adds to the knowledge

• Boxster 987 2.7/2.9 - £629 +VAT

RMS bearing can be changed for an additional £99

https://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/upgrades/porsche-clutch-kit

That won’t include a flywheel, it can’t do clutch kit is circa 200 flywheel is 340 ish never mind if cluch release fork and guide bush are knackered that’s  a get you through the door price

11 hours ago, bally4563 said:

That won’t include a flywheel, it can’t do clutch kit is circa 200 flywheel is 340 ish never mind if cluch release fork and guide bush are knackered that’s  a get you through the door price

Has anyone changed to a lightened flywheel? They're not always a great idea - good for the track but may make the car a bit too rev-happy and jerky for the road. Its a common mod in the kitcar world but they are often track-focussed so works OK - I know a couple who don't track their kit car and regretted the lighter flywheeel.

22 hours ago, nelmo said:

Has anyone changed to a lightened flywheel? They're not always a great idea - good for the track but may make the car a bit too rev-happy and jerky for the road. Its a common mod in the kitcar world but they are often track-focussed so works OK - I know a couple who don't track their kit car and regretted the lighter flywheeel.

I bought a 996 with one already fitted. I believe the clutch is different too. One of my friends drove it and said its very on off which is probably accurate. Not sure how much of this is the clutch or the LWFW.

The only down side is the extra difficulty getting off the line in 1st. It can stall easily or if you over rev slip and smell a bit. So as long as you don't want to do perfect start drag racing any sensible petrol head car enthusiast type should be able to manage fine. 

Some will also dislike the extra noises on idle. The chitter chatter which would have been dampened by the DMF.

Then the benefits are the car feeling more perkier and more responsive. It is noticeable. More sports car like. It will not only accelerate better but also decelerate when you lift off. In the real world this is only fractions of a second here and there so don't expect a massive step up in performance. 

Finally some believe the m96 and m97 should not have a LWFW. They believe the DMF provides some form of damper and without this means the engine is suspentable to damage. I don't know the exact details because my car has one therefore I'm deliberately ignoring this potential doom and gloom scenario. A couple of people on here have them I think or have in the past.

• Like 1

The dual mass flywheel is definitely there for that purpose, just replaced one on a 4 cyl diesel engine and the vibration was very noticeable. 6 cylinders are supposed to be more balanced though. LuK/Sachs DMF’s are pricey though!

I had 2 quotes last year (Clutch/DMF/RMS) for my 2.7 987.1, £1,200 and £2,000(!) - that's what you get for being in Surrey - needless to say I did it myself for about £550 and I also did the IMS flange seal which few people mention but would be a good thing to include

9 hours ago, Sword said:

I had 2 quotes last year (Clutch/DMF/RMS) for my 2.7 987.1, £1,200 and £2,000(!) - that's what you get for being in Surrey - needless to say I did it myself for about £550 and I also did the IMS flange seal which few people mention but would be a good thing to include

Try Paul at Torque Boxsters if you are in general area south west of London (M3).

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Try Paul at Torque Boxsters if you are in general area south west of London (M3).

Even if you are not it's worth travelling for good service. If you don't know he started out as a keen DIYer and then progressed to full time business. I have never used his service but have seen him being very helpful and knowledgeable with forum members in the past. If I ever need help because I give up with my drive to DIY I'd consider his service even though he is miles and miles away from Me. We need to encourage people like this who create a start up business to work on these cars even though most other people would consider that to be financial suicide. 

• Like 2

I've been collating some prices:

Revolution Porsche: clutch & RMS £874 inc VAT

Torque Boxsters: clutch & RMS £1500 inc VAT

Nine Excellence: clutch & RMS & IMS seal £939 inc VAT

Renn Works: clutch & RMS £900 inc VAT

I will update if and when I get any more quotes

5 hours ago, ricof said:

Not one jot of flywheel mentioned in quotes or clutch lever or clutch tube bush I would want I itemise list of what they are going to change, ok for me as I do these jobs myself , but also firm believer… whilst you are in there

On 1/8/2024 at 3:54 PM, ricof said:

How many allow for replacement exhaust fixings that will likely be rusted firm and need replacing and the labour involved in that too?

On 1/7/2024 at 12:23 AM, Sword said:

how hard did you find it? was the IMS tricky to do?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 5:09 PM, Jow said:

how hard did you find it? was the IMS tricky to do?

Technically not difficult but very labour intensive and you'll need the right tools. Check out 'Burner's Cars' on Youtube the 987 is very similar (not identical but close) - he did it on axle stands as I did. To do anything with the IMS you'll need a special tool to lock the cams/TDC etc and remove the chain tensioner. As mentioned above you'll need to get the exhaust off first which was a royal pain for me with all the rusted bolts and clamps all of which needed replacing on mine! I did a little write up here - apologies I do not know how to link things on the board

20 hours ago, Sword said:

Technically not difficult but very labour intensive and you'll need the right tools. Check out 'Burner's Cars' on Youtube the 987 is very similar (not identical but close) - he did it on axle stands as I did. To do anything with the IMS you'll need a special tool to lock the cams/TDC etc and remove the chain tensioner. As mentioned above you'll need to get the exhaust off first which was a royal pain for me with all the rusted bolts and clamps all of which needed replacing on mine! I did a little write up here - apologies I do not know how to link things on the board

nice, doesn't sound that bad at all, was getting the gear box off ok as well?