718 4.0 GTS bigger tyre sizes

Ballie

depends how wide the wheels are.

though i doubt that a rim width that would support a 265/35 would also support a 295/30, i suspect the GT4 rears are at least an inch wider than the GTS. fronts would likely be ok though.

this might help https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2009_Tyre_Size_to_Rim_Width_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

think you'll find 1/2 inch wider at 11"

I'd check the offset of GT4 rims - I don't think they are the same either.  When I wend larger on the 986 I could only go 275 due to proximity of suspension strut on the rears.

The fronts I went wider with no issues at all.

Oh and the 275 didn't have the much loved "N" rating, 285 would have.

38 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

depends how wide the wheels are.

though i doubt that a rim width that would support a 265/35 would also support a 295/30, i suspect the GT4 rears are at least an inch wider than the GTS. fronts would likely be ok though.

this might help https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2009_Tyre_Size_to_Rim_Width_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

Great advice, I will have a wheel off later and look for a size and offset on the alloy, my friend has a GT4 so I may be able to try his wheels on mine. If 295/30 won't work I may be able to fit 285/35?. As you say the rim width will tell me

27 minutes ago, Patt said:

think you'll find 1/2 inch wider at 11"

I'd check the offset of GT4 rims - I don't think they are the same either.  When I wend larger on the 986 I could only go 275 due to proximity of suspension strut on the rears.

The fronts I went wider with no issues at all.

Oh and the 275 didn't have the much loved "N" rating, 285 would have.

Yes I think the 245 fronts will go on perfectly 👌 but as you say the rear struts could also be an issue regarding increasing tyre width 

the 20" 981/718 rear rims are 10.5 

Compatible tyre size for that rims is 265-295...so it's all down to is there room.

987 & 986 were fitting 265 onto a 9" rim.

996 fitted 265 & 285 to a 10" rim

Let me know what you see when you get your hands on a GT4 rim, as I would like to know.  Can you tell I've done a fair bit on the subject already 😉

Edited by Patt

The car is only just over 2 years old so technically yes still in warranty but I have already voided the warranty by having it modified, I wasn't worried about losing the warranty I just wanted the car to feel right as stock I felt it was awful.

I am looking to increase tyre size purely for more grip as the 265/30 rear constantly brake traction due to the fact they can't handle the increased HP/Torque 

Edited by Ballie
  • Like 1