Boxster S - suspension / ride quality

kdh

32 minutes ago, phazed said:

If anyone is looking for a set of standard springs. I have a set of practically new springs in the classified on here. Just make me an offer.

Hope you don't mind, I added some notes on the listing to help people ID the springs.

A nice set of 17" wheels are now on the car.

Ride is not Night and Day different, I would say it takes the edge/sharpness off the bumps and rough surfaces and driving through town it does feel smoother and the potholes aren't so jarring.. Turn-in, steering all feel the same as the 18's. I've reduced the tyre pressures (as suggested) to 30 on the back and 27 on the front.

I'm I'm glad I made the switch.

4 hours ago, kdh said:

I've reduced the tyre pressures (as suggested) to 30 on the back and 27 on the front.

I think that's a bit low for the front. The 996 recommended pressures for 17 with same tyre sizes is 36/36. So I go with 30 to 32 depending on my mood. But I keep them the same front and rear.

I'm with @ATM dropping 3 psi at the front is OK, but adds marginal aquaplane risk (aquaplaning resistance is associated to square root of the pressure), but dropping 6 at the rear could start to give you uneven tyre wear issues.  I appreciate the argument about Porsche setting a pressure that is 'safe' to go to 160mph on an Autobahn, but in many respects at the speed the tyre gets pretty hot due to sidewall flex so the pressure rises accordingly.  If you are being really picky stick to N tyres as they are slightly different to otherwise identical looking tyres from the same brand (usually a bit lighter so material has gone from somewhere), or avoid XL versions of tyres (which largely scrubs Michelin and therefore their N tyres in the sizes for our cars) as the sidewalls can be a bit firmer but not a 100% definitive.

Biggest change is going down a rim size with taller side walls and see notes above re XL tyres.

Book is 2.0bar front (29.0psi), 2.5bar rear (36.25psi) whether 17" or 18" rims.

• Thanks 1

Most of my experience with tyre pressures relates to my 996. Unfortunately I've not driven my 986 much at all. I've had the 17 inch as low as early teens or lower on the front due to being a daily driver and not checking them enough. The car drove fine - just pottering around at 30mph - except under braking where it would scrabble around I assume because the tyre was deforming too much. That's what prompted to me to check the pressures.