Oil cooler 2.7 vs 3.2 - good idea when replacing starter?

RalphyBMW

My starter motor has been hanging slightly on occasion when starting the car.

I’m planning to order a new Bosch starter motor in the next month or so, along with a really long extension or two.

Is it a good idea to replace the oil cooler at the same time?

If so, is there any merit in fitting the 3.2 / Carrera oil cooler?

TIA!

Sounds like creating work.  In over 5 years of 986S ownership and following the forums, I' not aware of the oil cooler as being an issue either for reliability or cooling capacity.  Remember it is an oil to water cooler so you'd be breaking into the water system as well as the oil system.

Not sure what your starter problem that makes you want to change it, but if it is squealing then the Bendix gear probably just needs a good clean and lube.  Starter motors tend to work or not work other than this.

• Like 1

Cheers for this.

Starter just has a propensity to “hang” for a very short period after the car starts.

May be solvable with a remove and clean up, but given it’s a bit awkward I was inclined to just replace with a known good one.

When I did my condensers last year I noticed that my N/S radiator was generally a bit scruffy, with some crystallisation, so I was planning to drain the coolant and replace both radiators anyway, so breaking into the water wasn’t really an issue.

I think it’s more an issue of the o rings under the cooler going hard and it leaking rather than the cooler itself. 
If you are in there and all the fluids drained it’s a cheap easy pre maintenance job to do. 

The starter just needs a clean and service the grease is hard or gone and it’s not disengaging quickly enough on start. 

Edited by Halfordwill
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2024 at 7:56 AM, Halfordwill said:

I think it’s more an issue of the o rings under the cooler going hard and it leaking rather than the cooler itself. 
If you are in there and all the fluids drained it’s a cheap easy pre maintenance job to do. 

The starter just needs a clean and service the grease is hard or gone and it’s not disengaging quickly enough on start. 

Mine does this as well. More so when the car is cold. When it's warm there's no issue. A replacement starter seems cheap enough (even cheaper when you get one from Steve Strange). It's one of those jobs that I will eventually get around to doing (and I can always service and keep the original starter in the spares box).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Mine does this as well. More so when the car is cold. When it's warm there's no issue. A replacement starter seems cheap enough (even cheaper when you get one from Steve Strange). It's one of those jobs that I will eventually get around to doing (and I can always service and keep the original starter in the spares box).

When the temp drops the grease gets thicker/harder...  If the starter motor works but is sticky, whip it out and clean it, apply fresh clean grease lightly and refit it no need to spend more money on even a second hand one that will still likely benefit from cleaning and regreasing before fitting....

• Like 1

Sorry to depart from advice above but bendix drives should not be greased. It collects dust, hardens and stops the bendix working. They should be cleaned and left dry but If you can't resist maybe some silicon spray.

5 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Sorry to depart from advice above but bendix drives should not be greased. It collects dust, hardens and stops the bendix working. They should be cleaned and left dry but If you can't resist maybe some silicon spray.

Good point, well made.  May be graphite dry lubricant?

17 hours ago, Boxob said:

I did this job on my 1975 VW Beetle years ago. I was at University and was at that delicate point financially where I had to choose between eating or starving just to pay tuition and accommodation. Any extra money I had was flung into the air by skydiving whenever I could afford to do so (I lived mainly on rice, instant soup and apples to save money). I certainly didn't have money to pay someone to fix my car so I did it all myself.

My starter motor packed up in the second year of my ownership so I took it out, stripped the whole thing and cleaned it. Put it back together again and reinstalled. Can't remember using any grease but I do remember replacing the carbon brushes. I had to do it again when the bendix gear lost a few teeth. I took it apart and replaced the bendix gear with a new one and reinstalled. I think there may have been some grease under the bendix gear on the spring but I really can't remember all the details. It was a long time ago.

I also took out the engine myself when the sparkplug blew out and stripped its thread. Fun times.

The starter on my Toyota packed up last year. Brushes U/S. I bought a brush set and replaced. Cleaned up the starter whilst out and regreased the planetary gears.

Just wondered if such a thing was available for the boxster starter and if removing to clean up, why not do the brush set if available? The Toyota one was about 20 quid delivered.🤔