Fitting heated seats to a 986

Danncus

1 hour ago, Danncus said:

Has anyone fitted factory heated seats to a car not prepared?

whats involved? Obviously the console switches, but what else?

thanks

There is a how to add heated seat elements to a 986 on here and most of that will still apply due to the wiring changes required.

2 hours ago, Danncus said:

Has anyone fitted factory heated seats to a car not prepared?

whats involved? Obviously the console switches, but what else?

thanks

First up if you want to go full factory then you'll need the wiring diagram to know exactly what needs to be routed to where.  The OE switches are about £30 each but you need connectors and loom pins for another £12 or so for each switch, so getting on for £90 just in the centre console parts and that's before you source seats with elements, or retro fit elements (about £140 each) which needs a strip down of the seats.  PM me your email and I'll send you some helpful material.  Adding to the OE loom is not too bad once you work out what's necessary and have the confidence to do it.  I've done it on 3 projects now, retro-fitting cruise control, fitting 3 flash indicators and fitting 2001 door looms to include door speakers into my doors, inserting pin or blade connections is fiddly but possible.  It also reduces chances of bad connections or parasitic drain if you don't do it right.

Retrofitting the heated pads as @TV8 mentions is much more straight forward and you end up with control switches by the adjustment levers in the outsides of the seat squabs.  Still needs a strip down of the seats and power from an appropriate fuse though.

1 hour ago, Danncus said:

There is a car which is being broken with all the parts (seats and switches) and anything else of use. 

I can’t find any information on with those parts you simply need a switched +ve supply?

You will still need to build up the bits of the loom linking the switches and seats to your existing loom.  The vendor may let you have both sides of any connector to let you splice it in more easily, but car electrics are for the brave, patient and organised.  There will be the control/relay modules to locate and then +12v feed and the wiring in between, plus which fuse to go to in the main panel (A6  25amp it looks like).

A 'quick' look up in there wiring diagram, there are 5 wires to each switch connector, 7 wires to each controller relay module that go through the X16 (left) and X17 (right) multi way connectors under the seats.

Bottom line is doable, but you'd have to want to do it.  I'm not auto electrician but I've found with electrics on these relatively modern cars that I spend 5 to 10 times the actual time the work takes looking, checking, working out and planning.

• Like 1

Hi, I bought leather heated 996 seats for my unprepped Boxster, mainly to replace the very strange standard cloth and vinyl ones it came with. I have fitted them without doing the heating, but it is on my to do list..

This was the best guide I found to doing it - this only allows on/off, rather than low and high heat levels, but it would be fine for me.

Edited by JohnnyGraham
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of fitting factory heated seats to my 986.  Doesn't look to difficult  as long as the donor seats have all the wiring and relays attached.

You need to add the wiring from the switches to under the seats, one of these wires is for the backlight of the switches.

A power wire from the seats to the fuse box A6, there is also a ground wire as well, but I think this is already part of the standard loom.

I have not got the car out from winter hibernation so not got around to actual fitting them, but I am ready to go.  I will be trying to keep the wiring as close to factory as possible, using the proper connectors and plugs.

The post below may help and feel free to shout if you need any further help with the diagrams or anything.

Option Retrofit - DIY Seat Heating for a 996t - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

57 minutes ago, Sanky said:

I am in the process of fitting factory heated seats to my 986.  Doesn't look to difficult  as long as the donor seats have all the wiring and relays attached.

You need to add the wiring from the switches to under the seats, one of these wires is for the backlight of the switches.

A power wire from the seats to the fuse box A6, there is also a ground wire as well, but I think this is already part of the standard loom.

I have not got the car out from winter hibernation so not got around to actual fitting them, but I am ready to go.  I will be trying to keep the wiring as close to factory as possible, using the proper connectors and plugs.

The post below may help and feel free to shout if you need any further help with the diagrams or anything.

Option Retrofit - DIY Seat Heating for a 996t - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

This wiring diagram (X18 connector for left seat is essentially the same) might help you out:

vl3qdEg.jpeg

• 1 month later...

So I decided to retrofit a kit. I fitted the pads to the passenger seat. Quite an ordeal, but happy with the result. 

I’m wondering where people have sourced the power from?

• 1 month later...