Tax

alank

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Tax on 1st of the month to get best 'value'.  1 day = 1 month, so taxing on 31st means a whole month just as taxing on 1st of the month.  Likewise SORN on final day of the month.

Very true if your already taxed but in this instance if your car is SORN and you want to tax it to beat the price increase on 1st April you can (or at least you could last year)tax up to 48 hours in advance of the 1st April. If you did it on the 1st April you would incur the price increase..

1 hour ago, CMA said:

Or if you pay it by Direct Debit for 12 months it drops cost on the right month so you pay no more surcharge than needed. That's what happened with my 2017 Macan GTS

That is interesting.

I’m not sure how that works  (i can see it being correct tho) - i can see how paying a monthly DD would change the payment at the appropriate month, (but you pay a 5% surcharge on that) - but if its an annual DD, that’s a bit different as surely the payment hets taken at the start of the year for the whole year. ?

Edited by moonshine

52 minutes ago, moonshine said:

That is interesting.

I’m not sure how that works  (i can see it being correct tho) - i can see how paying a monthly DD would change the payment at the appropriate month, (but you pay a 5% surcharge on that) - but if its an annual DD, that’s a bit different as surely the payment hets taken at the start of the year for the whole year. ?

When paying by monthly DD they send you a schedule of your payments and dates, which shows the change in payment at the right month, I always pay by monthly DD so not sure how it works if you pay 12 months up front, maybe it is worked out as they know when it will change, I guess you'll find out :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I SORN'ed my whole fleet. On the 29th February. They were still showing as taxed on the 1st. Still cant can't get new tax. The Government website comes up with this - [and then I go round in a loop of doom if I click on the link to tax a car after SORN]

Screenshot-20240303-095050-Chrome.jpg