Tax

alank

Just had my tax reminder through, since when did it go up to £365, FFS,  wouldnt mind if a few ££ of it got spent on the F____G  Pot Holes. Rant over, At least the PDK makes it £5 cheaper than the Manual. Have a nice day

off topic but I do like how the government tries to deny pay rises to the public sector because it would fuel inflation but is happy to raise road tax and council tax and leave tax bands where they are thereby increasing net taxation…

why the high figures for spyder  and  986/7  ,  older smelly/oily/ gas guzzling motors ??  suppose the 981s is good regarding fuel consumption on a run.

5 hours ago, alank said:

Just had my tax reminder through, since when did it go up to £365, FFS,  wouldnt mind if a few ££ of it got spent on the F____G  Pot Holes. Rant over, At least the PDK makes it £5 cheaper than the Manual. Have a nice day

One of the reasons I don't miss Mr Box.

That's £1 a day so if you don't drive it for a month it's cost you £30  :(

8 hours ago, Carmine said:

it’s going up again on 1 April!

Have a pint on me 😉

If your car is SORNED for the worst of the winter you can tax on the 31st March to start on the 1st April thus avoiding the price increases👍

9 hours ago, hmg66 said:

Have a pint on me 😉

If your car is SORNED for the worst of the winter you can tax on the 31st March to start on the 1st April thus avoiding the price increases👍

This is what I'm doing. I'm only taxing it for 6 months too. The treasury has had enough of my £££.

I've missed not driving it, but there have been few days up here where I would have taken it out and the roads are in a right state.

1 hour ago, eob said:

This is what I'm doing. I'm only taxing it for 6 months too. The treasury has had enough of my £££.

I've missed not driving it, but there have been few days up here where I would have taken it out and the roads are in a right state.

Will this work.  If the increase kicks in on the 1st April then does this mean that day on the calendar or any tax which has a period that begins on or after the 1st April? 

2 hours ago, ATM said:

Will this work.  If the increase kicks in on the 1st April then does this mean that day on the calendar or any tax which has a period that begins on or after the 1st April? 

If you tax it before it goes up you pay the old rate - if you tax it after its gone up you pay the new rate.

2 hours ago, ATM said:

I forgot to type that I was taxing it on March 1st.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eob said:

I forgot to type that I was taxing it on March 1st.

I might do that too with my fleet of clunkers if the other bands are increasing too. 

My mate has a new BMW and has to pay an extra 380 quid per year because the list price is over 40k. Its called luxury tax I think. Shocking.

16 hours ago, hmg66 said:

Have a pint on me 😉

Tax on 1st of the month to get best 'value'.  1 day = 1 month, so taxing on 31st means a whole month just as taxing on 1st of the month.  Likewise SORN on final day of the month.

Edited by ½cwt

1 hour ago, ATM said:

My mate has a new BMW and has to pay an extra 380 quid per year because the list price is over 40k. Its called luxury tax I think. Shocking.

After the luxury tax period - the 6th year - does the tax revert to the £180 (normal rate for years 1 to 6) or the amount based on emissions?

19 minutes ago, M12MTR said:

After the luxury tax period - the 6th year - does the tax revert to the £180 (normal rate for years 1 to 6) or the amount based on emissions?

I believe its 4 years then it stops. So during the 4 years he pays the normal tax and the 380 - sorry no its 390 now.  But could this also change whenever they decide to hike taxes??? So its an additional tax. Then he just pays the normal tax. According to the blurb I see he pays 170 for normal now but again that might change in April as discussed. 

• Thanks 1

You pay the 'luxury' car tax for first 5 years then in reverts to standard rate £180 or whatever it is when ur luxury tax has run its course. I was paying £50 ish per month before it reverted to £180.

55 minutes ago, jimmy p said:

You pay the 'luxury' car tax for first 5 years then in reverts to standard rate £180 or whatever it is when ur luxury tax has run its course. I was paying £50 ish per month before it reverted to £180.

You actually pay the luxury car tax for 5 years in years 2 to 6  - with year 1 having a new car tax surcgarge based on CO2 - it reverts to £180 in year 7 onward 👎 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M12MTR said:

Its a flat £180 once the £390 luxury car tax surcharge expires at hte end of year 6.

My 2018 x3 M40d luxury car surcharge expires this year in July. - the tax is up in April.

it is cheaper (by a lot) to tax it for 6 months in April at (£95) and then i am only due to pay 6 months surcharge of £200, and then tax it for a year in October for a full year at £180, (£475 f0r 18 months) than it is to tax it for 12 months in April at £180) and pay the 12 month surcharge of £390) then tax it for 6 months (£95) (£665) for teh same 18 month period

27 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Its a flat £180 once the £390 luxury car tax surcharge expires at hte end of year 6.

My 2018 x3 M40d luxury car surcharge expires this year in July. - the tax is up in April.

it is cheaper (by a lot) to tax it for 6 months in April at (£95) and then i am only due to pay 6 months surcharge of £200, and then tax it for a year in October for a full year at £180, (£475 f0r 18 months) than it is to tax it for 12 months in April at £180) and pay the 12 month surcharge of £390) then tax it for 6 months (£95) (£665) for teh same 18 month period

Or if you pay it by Direct Debit for 12 months it drops cost on the right month so you pay no more surcharge than needed. That's what happened with my 2017 Macan GTS

• Like 1