Any Way to get Sat Nav TMC Working Again?

Buzzfox

I noticed a few months ago that the TMC (Traffic Message Channel) is no longer picking anything up. Having done a bit of research (before I got very bored!) I think it's something to do there being two TMC suppliers (Traffic Master and someone else) and Traffic Master have stopped the service or it's something about VAG not renewing their license to use the service of a combination of both of these things - who knows?!

Anyway my question is has anyone managed to get TMC working on their PCM? I did start reading an Audi forum where they've managed to get it working by switching the system to use the other supplier but that seemed to involve getting into the firmware and altering certain files which went way over my head.

It's a real pain not having TMC on the few Occasions I use it so I'd like to get it back if I can. I know I could be using other things for Sat Navs and I could change the head unit but I want to keep the car original and I can't stand phones and things stuck to windows and trailing cables and whatnot.

Any ideas??

I just rely on the traffic maps on Garmin CoPilot which i run through the CarPlay interface via the Mr12Volt card in my PCM3.1 to get traffic.

i have BMW traffic on my X3 M40d, but i still use CarPlay and Garmin maps (or apple / google / waze) 

I can never understand the need to keep everything original. Our cars are lovely but they are too new for originality to be a selling point, surely? Maybe when they're 50 years old and there are far fewer of them but not now. 

TMC was always very limited, only working on planned, scheduled roadworks - not a patch on Google Maps or Waze. Get yourself a modern head unit - Android Auto or Carplay is awesome. You can always keep the PCM unit in the loft until the day when you sell....