Console delete, am I missing something.

phazed

Just heard back from the guys printing mine. They weren't happy with how it was turning out and stopped printing at 50%. They suggested that they print it in two pieces and it would then require less support (I presume they mean material thickness). Told them I am fine with however they want to do it as long as it fits together well enough. I'll probably end up covering it with carpet in any event.

One thing I noticed is that we will still need the little piece in front of the gear shift to close it all up nicely. I thought this would cover that but it doesn't look like it.

3 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Just heard back from the guys printing mine. They weren't happy with how it was turning out and stopped printing at 50%. They suggested that they print it in two pieces and it would then require less support (I presume they mean material thickness). Told them I am fine with however they want to do it as long as it fits together well enough. I'll probably end up covering it with carpet in any event.

One thing I noticed is that we will still need the little piece in front of the gear shift to close it all up nicely. I thought this would cover that but it doesn't look like it.

They just sent me a picture of the completed console. They also suggested that I glue the two parts together and think of covering it with some carpet (which I planned to do in any event). The finished product looks good. I suppose I can even leave it as is and just spray it with a vinyl paint or something but I would prefer carpeting the whole thing to look more OEM.

I'll glue it together after installation and leave it a few days or so to cure before covering with carpet.
Oh, and the gap in front of the gearshift will be covered :)

56625979-23d8-467a-ab87-075b7e529fac

I'm pretty sure the transition between the two elements look so visible because it hasn't been glued in yet, just put together to show me how it looks. Once I have glued the two bits together and sanded it down I'm sure it will look a lot better.

Edited by RedBarediver

Couldn’t they just design a couple of tabs and slots into the edges so they naturally interlock? Assuming they’d be covered by carpet anyway. 

13 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Couldn’t they just design a couple of tabs and slots into the edges so they naturally interlock? Assuming they’d be covered by carpet anyway. 

They could do I am sure, but I am paying them for printing not designing. If they did improve the design and it failed somehow later on they would have to reimburse me. No sense for them to undertake extra unpaid work and then be out of pocket.

16 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

56625979-23d8-467a-ab87-075b7e529fac

I'm pretty sure the transition between the two elements look so visible because it hasn't been glued in yet, just put together to show me how it looks. Once I have glued the two bits together and sanded it down I'm sure it will look a lot better.

The colour is a nice match with the other plastic parts. I would leave it as is after a bit of glue and sending. Enjoy the central console-less life! Once you experienced the comfort, there is no turning back. :D 

10 minutes ago, Norbert said:

Once you experienced the comfort, there is no turning back. :D 

I agree 100%. In fact I drive the car now without the centre console all the time. It looks a little weird and unfinished but it's way more comfortable. It also looks rather retro and reminds me not so much of older Porsches, but more of my 1975 VW Beetle interior :)

25 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Just heard back from the printers. Everything done and ready for pickup by the courier. looks good and hopefully I'll get it in the next week or so.

They showed me the prototype.  They also mentioned that they have done it in two piece to allow them to print it correctly.  At least they have good communication, although I am still waiting to pay the extra.  I'm guessing you just agreed to their changes?

Any idea on the pattern needed for the carpet?  I guess it needs to be done in two pieces.

Edited by Daboy3000

22 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

They showed me the prototype.  They also mentioned that they have done it in two piece to allow them to print it correctly.  At least they have good communication, although I am still waiting to pay the extra.  I'm guessing you just agreed to their changes?

Any idea on the pattern needed for the carpet?  I guess it needs to be done in two pieces.

I agreed to the charges and paid. And they started printing immediately. The finished product looks good to me.

No idea about the carpet yet but pretty sure that will have to be done in two pieces as well. No worries though. It can't be that hard to source and glue a bit of carpet.

Well, it arrived and looks fine. However, one of the legs for the front bit by the gearshift has broken in transit :( I've reached out to the manufacturer to see what they say. Hopefully they can just print an extra and send it out to me. If not I shall have to do some superglue and carpet to hide it.

IMG_5416

IMG_5415

14 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Well, it arrived and looks fine. However, one of the legs for the front bit by the gearshift has broken in transit :( I've reached out to the manufacturer to see what they say. Hopefully they can just print an extra and send it out to me. If not I shall have to do some superglue and carpet to hide it.

IMG_5416

IMG_5415

The guys have come back to me and have undertaken to send a replacement part even though I said to them that I will try to superglue and make it work. Should have that in a few days so I can then install and report back.

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

The guys have come back to me and have undertaken to send a replacement part even though I said to them that I will try to superglue and make it work. Should have that in a few days so I can then install and report back.

Sounds like a nice company. Superglue would probably work, that little leg is not under any tension when installed.  Have you also got the small rectangle cover piece? 

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

I’d recommend JB Weld Plastic bonder for the repair. I find superglue a bit brittle. Used it extensively when repairing bumper and headlight units when I had a front end smash. It’s my go to fixer for plastic now. A support piece of plastic on the inside would probably make it stronger than original.

Mine arrived today, all ok, until I unwrapped it, it fell onto bubble wrap and the same bit broke off!  I've used Araldite to glue it back on and to strengthen both sides.

Glued and ready for carpeting.  I am going to need advice from a clothes maker to get the best pattern to cover it.  Probably need to do it in two pieces.

53736637245_2c78e70641_c.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Needs a plate across both sides rather than just trying to glue that narrow edge, I'd guess.

I think a slight redesign would help. If the whole thing is a bit thicker and more substantial I think it would be a lot better.

1 hour ago, Norbert said:

Sounds like a nice company. Superglue would probably work, that little leg is not under any tension when installed.  Have you also got the small rectangle cover piece? 

They sent me two of the rectangular cover pieces just in case I screw one up probably. Pretty good of them I think.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I think a slight redesign would help. If the whole thing is a bit thicker and more substantial I think it would be a lot better.

I was thinking of a quick personal repair but yes if we now see two have broken in the same place they should get that feedback and thicken it for future.