Console delete, am I missing something.

phazed

11 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

As far as I am aware they do not make them in Graphite grey ( code C50 ) any more.

No, they don't. I was looking for one for ages before I decided to just change the seats to 987 seats (much better) and am now changing everything inside to black. Once that job is all done I may revisit the idea of a console delete again. Except this time it will be a black one which will be a lot easier to source.

Only available in black and red, black ones have doubled in price again, 2 years ago they were about £120, then £300, now £700

1 hour ago, T911UK said:

Only available in black and red, black ones have doubled in price again, 2 years ago they were about £120, then £300, now £700

Wow! I guess I don't want a console delete THAT badly.

if you are covering it with carpet anyway, surely it can't be that difficult to construct something to the right size and shape - Blue Peter style? Its tucked back so not like its going to be open to scrutiny?

Exactly what I said. I’m sure I could knock that up in a couple of hours with a bit of good quality 10 mm ply, some wood glue, a few panel pins, and a jigsaw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Exactly what I said. I’m sure I could knock that up in a couple of hours with a bit of good quality 10 mm ply, some wood glue, a few panel pins, and a jigsaw.

My thoughts too, although I have the genuine kit, picked up here for £80, new & boxed, soon after I bought my car. Fortunately it was Metropole Blue to match my interior - if it had been black it might have been grabbed sooner.

Reading through the thread I’ve just been thinking that a small sheet of bendy ply for the curved bits, 6mm mdf for the flat parts and epoxy to hold it together (a bit like a stitch & glue canoe) could easily produce the base to be covered in carpet like the original item. As Clarkson would say, “How hard can it be?”

13 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

Fortunately not something I want on mine, I use the two storage bins (I replaced the CD holder with a second bin) for phones and wallets. 

Phew!

There is a little infill of plastic in front of the carpet that finishes it off. If you are doing it DIY and for people of a certain age, covering it in sticky back plastic, you could probably do without that but the genuine part needs that second plastic part.

On 3/4/2024 at 6:42 PM, phazed said:

I have seen that a few people have done this modification saving about 1.5 kg in weight

Just coming back to this. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no real weight saving. It's a big lump of carpet after all. 

29 minutes ago, Norbert said:

Why not 3D print it? Here is the blueprint: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6163642

I just checked the price, it is between 70-150 depending on the plastic material. You can paint it, plasti dip it or cover it with carpet. 

Cheapest I found (from https://craftcloud3d.com/) costs only GBP41 from Sweden. Sounds really good, i might try it. 

7 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

That looks pretty good actually. Slap some black carpet on it and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and the £700 part..

I checked it out and their cheapest quote is £33.93 plus £7.66 shipping for ABS and most expensive is an eye-watering £39,296.92 and £42.58 shipping if you want it in Copper..

6 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I checked it out and their cheapest quote is £33.93 plus £7.66 shipping for ABS and most expensive is an eye-watering £39,296.92 and £42.58 shipping if you want it in Copper..

I always wanted a copper boxster central console delete kit. :D
You also assume that the measurement is in mm?

3 minutes ago, Norbert said:

I always wanted a copper boxster central console delete kit. :D
You also assume that the measurement is in mm?

:) Ha ha yes so do I seeing as they don't offer it in gold...

And yes, the dimensions seem to me to be in mm too. That makes the most sense. 

I am tempted to get one just to see what it looks like.

Edited by RedBarediver

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

Yes, I am also ordering one. It will take 1 or 2 months to deliver but for this price it's well worth it. 

I think ABS is a good choice, it is also cheap. 

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

BTW, i found somebody who could make it from titanium. :D 
But seriously, that GBP150 for carbon fiber sounds good too...