Console delete, am I missing something.

phazed

Just been doing a bit of browsing and I have seen that a few people have done this modification. Apart from saving about 1.5 kg in weight I can’t really see any advantage apart from cosmetically being minimalistic. It can’t give you any more legroom , I can’t see it giving you any more knee room, not that any more is needed as far as I’m aware. Is it purely choice with no real advantage?

Am I missing something? 

It does give you more knee room, and  it is quite common for people to complain about the lack of it, including me, looks more retro too which I loved..

I guess the additional knee room is needed as the 986 seating is higher and the steering wheel and column have less adjustment than a 987?

Im 6f and my left knee is pretty much touching the steering wheel for most the time im driving and the seat is all the way back so i can see how it would benefit a longer legged individual. 

It doesn't create any more distance between pedals and seat but it does allow 'manspreading' with the knees either side of the steering wheel. 

2 hours ago, phazed said:

Just been doing a bit of browsing and I have seen that a few people have done this modification. Apart from saving about 1.5 kg in weight I can’t really see any advantage apart from cosmetically being minimalistic. It can’t give you any more legroom , I can’t see it giving you any more knee room, not that any more is needed as far as I’m aware. Is it purely choice with no real advantage?

Am I missing something? 

Does your left shin or calf touch the centre console at all. This should tell you all you need to know. 

Done mine and to me, it makes a world of difference when driving as I can spread out better. 6'2"

Also, as mentioned, to me it looks a lot better without. 😉👍

I would like to do this, been looking for one for a while, even missed a grey one on marketplace for next to nothing, gutted.

The extra room would be nice but I want to do it for the aesthetics.  It makes the interior look more like a 993 and older. 

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

The extra room would be nice but I want to do it for the aesthetics.  It makes the interior look more like a 993 and older. 

I liked the look of it but did miss somewhere to store the phone when streaming

axgLGOf.jpg

• Like 1

My 986 was an antidote to the phone, the less I could see it or hear it, the better, radio was there to while away the boredom while getting to a "drive".

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TV8 said:

I liked the look of it but did miss somewhere to store the phone when streaming

axgLGOf.jpg

I really like the look of that but like you... i also use the little cubby hole there although i do have a glovebox too.

One for the nice to have list for now. 

4 hours ago, fizz said:

I really like the look of that but like you... i also use the little cubby hole there although i do have a glovebox too.

I had the continental head unit that has track skipping on Spotify by pushing the top right button. My Bluetooth adapter doesn’t on the 986 but I can use the track skip feature in waze. 

10 hours ago, fizz said:

One for the nice to have list for now. 

Design 911 are charging 800 for these in Black. Some other colours are cheaper ... for now. So you really need to want one badly for that price.

Can you imagine how p*ssed off I was that I missed a very rare grey one for about £60.  Facebook is rubbish at just showing you new stuff from your groups and it's getting worse.

I have tracked down someone who can supply genuine carpet and I even a have the plans to have one 3D printed.  Can I find someone with a big enough printer, no!!!

Edited by Daboy3000
  • Sad 1

The price’s really are unbelievable. Supply and demand I guess, just like the 987 sports back seats!

33 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Can you imagine how p*ssed off I was that I missed a very rare grey one for about £60.  Facebook is rubbish at just showing you new stuff from your groups and it's getting worse.

I have tracked down someone who can supply genuine carpet and I even a have the plans to have one 3D printed.  Can I find someone with a big enough printer, no!!!

Alternatively you could buy a red one & save £561 on the price of a black one😳 if you are covering it in carpet does the colour matter? I appreciate that the price is mental. 

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

If you pm me the design specs and i will ask about for you mate as i know a couple of people who might possibly be able to point in the right direction. If we get enough of an interest we might be able to do a group buy if you can also get the carpet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phazed said:

The price’s really are unbelievable. Supply and demand I guess, just like the 987 sports back seats!

Without doubt supply and demand. I just bought a 986 back box in mint condition from the US for £130 locally there (still need to get it shipped at extra cost)... here rusted shyate boxes on ebay for £400/£500 due to the salt on our roads. 

I fitted a mag mount on the plastic insert piece for my phone and another foldable one on the side which folds out for my iPod. 🤙🏻

Thought I was over paying when I payed £130 2 years ago. 😂Pleased I bought when I did.

Con

• Like 1

I’m sure I could nock one up out of plywood and cover it in a generic black carpet. No one would spot the difference once fitted.

35 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Unless there has been huge inflation and price changes I am not aware of, have a word with @T911UK for said console delete.

As far as I am aware they do not make them in Graphite grey ( code C50 ) any more.

37 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

As far as I am aware they do not make them in Graphite grey ( code C50 ) any more.

That won’t help prices