Console delete, am I missing something.

phazed

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

That looks great! If you stick the right colour carpet over it I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between this and the £700 ones..

I'd be interested to know how good a fit it is.

I might just leave it as is with no carpet. It looks really good alread.

On 4/24/2024 at 4:47 PM, Norbert said:

I might just leave it as is with no carpet. It looks really good alread.

I shall definitely get one when the current crop of work on the car has been completed.

7 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I shall definitely get one when the current crop of work on the car has been completed.

After a week without the central console, I am confident to say that deleting was a good decision. I do really enjoy the extra space and it looks really clean. 

On 4/24/2024 at 4:42 PM, Norbert said:

Finished the installation.

IMG_20240424_164150.jpg

I'm looking at that, and your double USB socket, and wondering if the bottom flat part could have a wireless charger on it, to avoid cables hanging down the dash. Not perfect, you might want to see the phone screen, but I feel it could be used somehow.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I'm looking at that, and your double USB socket, and wondering if the bottom flat part could have a wireless charger on it, to avoid cables hanging down the dash. Not perfect, you might want to see the phone screen, but I feel it could be used somehow.

My phone is twice as big as that little flat surface.

• Thanks 1

Hi @NorbertDo you just upload the 3D model and it chooses who prints it for you?

Did you get the bit behind the gear stick printed too?

I know a supplier who can sell 500mm of OEM carpet for around £50 delivered if you need it.

12 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Hi @NorbertDo you just upload the 3D model and it chooses who prints it for you?

Did you get the bit behind the gear stick printed too?

I know a supplier who can sell 500mm of OEM carpet for around £50 delivered if you need it.

Yes, upload the model, choose the material (ABS plastic is a good one), infill 20%.

The model I linked before contains the small rectangle shaped part too.

Thanks but I like it without carpet.

I maybe back in a 986 at some point, if it happens I will be ordering one, I loved the look and the space in my old car.

3 hours ago, Terryg said:

I maybe back in a 986 at some point, if it happens I will be ordering one, I loved the look and the space in my old car.

Not many favour the 986 over 987. :)

35 minutes ago, Norbert said:

I think the 986 look better inside and outside. 

Edited by Daboy3000
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

That looks good. How does it fit to the car please? I have fitted a genuine one and can't remember where/how it fixes

10 hours ago, Norbert said:

The reasons are multiple and not just about the cars themselves. Location, financial situation and the lack of a gear shift are the main factors.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TV8 said:

That looks good. How does it fit to the car please? I have fitted a genuine one and can't remember where/how it fixes

Two 10mm bolts hold it in place. You also need to remove the centre console (with the armrest).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Yes, my carpet is grey so I thought if the match is good I might not cover it. 

With factory items that cover is matched to the trim plastics and not the carpet.

Given my track record I am the last person to insist everything “as factory” so I’m keen to see how your install looks.

Have an idea for these printed parts so am watching with interest. 

7 hours ago, map said:

With factory items that cover is matched to the trim plastics and not the carpet.

Given my track record I am the last person to insist everything “as factory” so I’m keen to see how your install looks.

Have an idea for these printed parts so am watching with interest. 

I have ordered the cover behind the gearstick in black, which is the same as my console. Hopefully I can achieve a similar finish with the correct paint. Tough Satin paint can give that rough finish look. Most of my other trim plastics have been dyed/painted grey to match the leather, I might try the dye/paint first on the delete before carpeting. 

Just ordered one. At less than £50 delivered it would be rude not to. They also gave me a referral code that someone else can use for 10% off.  REFA0SL3LA5

I was going to work on the car today but even the ducks are staying at home in the dreadful weather we're having so I'm ordering stuff online rather than working...

Edited by RedBarediver
  • Like 1

I have had a message back from the printers saying that if they used ABS there could be some defects in the printing process and asked me to go for PET-G instead.  I declined as it was almost twice the price.  Once I get my refund I will try again and select a different company to print it.  @RedBarediver have you selected Imagination 3D Fashion SRL as you printers too?

3 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

I have had a message back from the printers saying that if they used ABS there could be some defects in the printing process and asked me to go for PET-G instead.  I declined as it was almost twice the price.  Once I get my refund I will try again and select a different company to print it.  @RedBarediver have you selected Imagination 3D Fashion SRL as you printers too?

Yes, same guys and said the same to me (they're an outfit in Romania) and charged me an extra £22 for PET-G. I figured I'm in this deep now an extra £22 isn't going to break the bank. If it is better than ABS and the item is good then I think I'll be pleased. At the price I paid it's still less than 10% of a Porsche console delete kit. I have gotten used to driving without that centre cubby and I must say I prefer it.

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

Yes, same guys and said the same to me (they're an outfit in Romania) and charged me an extra £22 for PET-G. I figured I'm in this deep now an extra £22 isn't going to break the bank. If it is better than ABS and the item is good then I think I'll be pleased. At the price I paid it's still less than 10% of a Porsche console delete kit. I have gotten used to driving without that centre cubby and I must say I prefer it.

PET-G is a bit stronger and have better UV resistance. It's still an excellent deal.