Tailgaters

cozzykim

The two Boxsters I've had so far have probably been the most tailgated cars I've ever owned. 🤨

4WD Sapphire Cossie, nobody bothered, maybe because it was legendary above its actual performance, though mine was 300hp+

Scooby yes, once. I had some git in a bloody little hatchback tailgate me within a couple of feet on a country road for several miles, just minding my own business but he wouldn't go past.

The 987.2, I had a Golf full of gesticulating asian lads follow me all the way down the A515, leaning out of the windows and gesticulating/yelling insults. I swear I was, again, just driving along around the speed limit with the top down minding my own business.

There were many more occasions in the 987.

This 981S, however, seems to be a major attractant for the w*nkers though. Driving back from my bro's house, through Bakewell, Monyash, Ashbourne, I must have had four or five to*sers at various stages of the journey, stuck to my back bumper.

Of course, I stick to the speed limit, don't we all? 😏

I have a Nextbase front/rear dashcam, which would be handy as evidence, except that it's never worked properly (yes I have a proper SD ultra fast card, I think it's a problem with the rear camera plug/cable) and seems to have frozen (in terror maybe?) at the exact moment that I would have needed the footage. 

Is it just me? What's wrong with these idiots and, if it happens to you, how do you deal with it? 

Maybe, like the Cossie, a 911's reputation would make the morons just not bother?

Yes, I think they do see the 'baby' Porsche as a challenge they could take on and have a story to put on TikTok 🙂 . Ironically, they'd have better success with a 911 as I've rarely seen a 911 being driven hard (older drivers, car too valuable to risk?) whereas I know the red mist has descended for me a few times.

Consider it a compliment - they probably weren't insulting you, they wanted you to race. You either smile and wave or, if the wife isn't in the car, show them who's boss (ok, sorry, that's just me)...admittedly, modern hatchbacks these days are scary quick, so 'smile and wave' is probably the cooler option...

• Like 2

Apart from the irritation, tailgating is just bl00dy dangerous. I'm not interested in duelling. If kids are hanging too close behind me, I just slow down & force them to pass. 

On Monday a van ran into the back of the car behind me. I watched it all happen in my rear view mirror & because I had some space in front of me, I pulled forward to avoid a rear shunt. I did stop & give my details as a witness. The two ladies in the car weren't clued up at all, I had to advise them to photograph the damage. The three abreast oafs in the van didn't seem to have a brain cell between them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

I'm not interested in duelling. If kids are hanging too close behind me, I just slow down & force them to pass. 

I do the same mate. To be fair, I rarely get tailgated - Obviously in the Cayman I'd almost certainly be going far too slow for anyone to stay behind me....... ☺️

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I do the same mate. To be fair, I rarely get tailgated - Obviously in the Cayman I'd almost certainly be going far too slow for anyone to stay behind me....... ☺️

I drive my old Boxster quite quickly but not close to other traffic. When the boy racers turn up, I act my age.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I drive my old Boxster quite quickly but not close to other traffic. When the boy racers turn up, I act my age.

...as are they 🙂