DIY Phone Holder

RichW426

I just thought I would put a short write up on a phone holder that I made last year.

I've been meaning to do it for ahwile but never got around to it, though having seen the prices some are paying for only slightly better ones, its prompted me to do it.

This one pictured below retails at 95GBP, plus P+P.

My DIY one, though not a charging mount like this, could be if you chose to buy such a holder instead of the plain magnetic mount like mine.

The advantage of mine is that I have to plug it in to charge it, this actually means I then connect to the stereo through the wiring and not bluetooth, and IMO the sound quality is superior having done so.

Anyway, thats enough waffle, heres the expensive option....

01.jpg

Posted (edited)

Heres the materials I used, a cheap magnetic phone mount and bracket (had to buy a pack of 5) from Amazon, and some self adhesive felt.

Assembly is self-explanatory...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by RichW426

Bracket simply sits over the top of the glovebox... a short black lead connects into the USB in the glovebox.

The cupholder can still be used, simply slide the mount further towards the center of the glovebox whilst using it.

The phone is held very securely, no wobbling or anything, and a very cheap solution compared to others on the market.

Cheers ☺️

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 3

That looks great mate, i like the ingenuity and simplicity of that solution. :) 

Id do the same but i really want a good mount solution to use with my S24 Ultra so i can record some driving clips with it. 

• Like 1

Neat solution, good job.

Has something changed in the world of phones? I was always told to keep magnets away from them as it would wipe the data - is that not a thing any more?

I have the brodit one, have liked brodit options for years. You need that clip and then the attachment for your phone another £20 or so depending on what you want.

In my manual you catch the phone slightly going in to reverse but other than that all good.

A+ on your DIY version, it’s very neat!!

I was really pleased with the home-made one for my 987, not sure if it works for a 981. It involves a shaped piece of alu plate (I used a T shape, could probably get away with an L shape) stuck to the inside of the centre console side plate/footwell wall, protruding and angled "to taste" - then buy any magnetic charger, stick to the protruding part of the bracket with a double-sided patch, and plug cable into USB adapter in cig socket in pax footwell. To charge well I got a phone case with a charging Q on the back. Get the protrusion and angle correct and it barely interferes with fifth or sixth gear (ah sorry Andy, it's because mine is LHD, yes with you it will be reverse).

11 hours ago, tony_zx9r said:

I have been looking for a better phone mount option & I like the look of this. Do you have links to the bits on Amazon please ?

cheers

Tony

Brackets : https://amzn.eu/d/7T8p7lG

Phone Holder ; https://amzn.eu/d/5xyuLG9

Just check the dimensions on the bracket are the same as the glove box, I ordered them on my partners account and don't have access to that to double check.

The self adhesive felt I ordered from ebay.

This is my, Heath Robinson, attempt.

Uses the Brodit clip with assorted 17mm ball/socket bits 'n' bobs.

When I used the specific Brodit holder my missus complained that it was in her way and that she kept catching her knee on it.

PXL-20240307-135920566.jpg

PXL-20240307-135941285.jpg

PXL-20240307-140011692.jpg

4 hours ago, nelmo said:

Neat solution, good job.

Has something changed in the world of phones? I was always told to keep magnets away from them as it would wipe the data - is that not a thing any more?

Not a thing anymore. Your phone has plenty of magnets inside already, try passing a compass over it and watch the needle swing around.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RichW426 said:

What I like about mine is the height is good enough so as not to have to look down too far. If it was down by the gearstick I would find it annoying.

I'm waiting for these to be delivered today, to give your idea a try for that very reason:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08L78WMNY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

1 hour ago, RichW426 said:

Looking good! The black weren't available when i made mine two years ago.

Did you double check the width of the glovebox top to make sure they'll sit over the top of it? 

Funny you should ask that. I did - 14.5mm

However, the inside measuremnt of the ones I bought is 10mm 🙄

They're not accurately bent either.

EDIT: I just ordered the same ones as your link - that'll teach me to be clever. 😂

I'm not doing too well with Amazon today.

This is the "Left handed Squier Mini Stratocaster" that also arrived today.

PXL-20240308-130308704.jpg

Edited by cozzykim
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich,

just back from holiday, going to try and re-create your mount. Ordered the bracket & mount from Amazon and grey felt from ebay. My interior in grey so thought I would try grey felt. The other change I am going to try is to replace the front with a phone holder I have used for years (rather than a magnet holder). My current phone holder fits into the air vent but keeps falling out. I like the front part though so hopefully I can find a way of mating the two parts together. I will post pics if I can get it to work 🙂

thanks to @RichW426 and @cozzykim I have made my own version of a phone holder. Seems to be the most stable phone holder I have had in my 981s with no sticky pads and no magnets. It is either bolted together or uses ball joints. The brackets suggested above to slide on the glove box edge fit well and with the sticky back felt, they are very snug and do not move once the glovebox lid is closed. I used the footwell usb plug and snuck the cable behind the centre console side panel.

The only change to the design above was that I added a "17mm Universal Ball Head Arm Car Phone Holder Ball Dashboard Bracket" from ebay, removed the circular base by undoing the small bolt with the provided allen key and bolted this direct the glovebox edge bracket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394911352236?var=663478385593

I will try to post pictures next if I can remember how 🙂

• Like 1