Trickle charger or battery problem ?

runner

Hi have a Porsche 981, 9.5 years old .. I’ve a charger attached that has worked fine for years but this year it’s started getting to the 4 green lights out of 8 status .. and then flashing green light bottom left .. and all other lights turn off … CTEK MS 5.0 … is the battery just too old or is it the trickle charger ? Any ideas ? Thanks 

1 hour ago, runner said:

Hi have a Porsche 981, 9.5 years old .. I’ve a charger attached that has worked fine for years but this year it’s started getting to the 4 green lights out of 8 status .. and then flashing green light bottom left .. and all other lights turn off … CTEK MS 5.0 … is the battery just too old or is it the trickle charger ? Any ideas ? Thanks 

What’s the manual for the ctek say about that light “combo”?

i have found them (ctek) very responsive if you email them and they recently honoured a 5 Year warranty of my unit when it started giving me “red light” on my battery  

that said. If you still have the original battery in the car then it has done well and could well be past its best.  

I read about these trickle charger issues when they posted and makes me wonder.

I haven’t got a trickle on mine and didn’t in the last one either for the three years I owned it. Both ten years old.  Both on the original batteries as far as I know. Have I just been lucky?

They seem very good, the last one I hadn’t driven for five weeks once and it was good as gold - the only sign it wanted a bit of charge being that it disabled the stop-start for the first half hour or so.

None of my S1 Elises or VX220 would last more than 9-10 days. Was familiar with that turn of the key and click click click sound. So there was a similar apprehension with the Box when I got it. 

21 hours ago, runner said:

Hi have a Porsche 981, 9.5 years old

Possibly the original battery, in which case it is definitely worth changing. It might die in one month or two years, but when it does die it could give you real headaches (eg you can't get into the car and your locking wheel nut key is in the glovebox). If it's original, definitely consider getting a new one by now.

Your problem might in this case be the charger but the above still applies.

On 3/11/2024 at 6:47 PM, runner said:

Are you using a CTEK extension cable?

Have the rubber grommets in the connector perished as the pins then don't connect properly.

50 minutes ago, runner said:

Yes I am ..: will have to check the pins thanks 

Try it somehow without the CTEK extension.

Mine was doing exactly the same before I left for a few months. Connected directly to the charger without the extension and it was fine, so my extension was sending some form of error to the charger. 

Edited by JurassicBGTS

On 3/12/2024 at 7:50 PM, JurassicBGTS said:

Are you using a CTEK extension cable?

I had the same problem a while back. The connection pins in the extension lead of the CTEK needed bending slightly to make a better contact. This was on a brand new item. No problems since 😊

Edited by Green Genie
Removed unnecessary text
  • Thanks 1