Antifreeze smell

mortzz

Hi all i dont use my 986 much but took it out the other day and found only when i put the heater on i get a very strong smell of Antifreeze, im thinking there may be a leak with the heater matrix? thing is i dont seem to be loosing any Antifreeze, an ideas? its a 99 plate 2.7

many thanks Andy

9 minutes ago, mortzz said:

Antifreeze tank?

Yeah, it's pretty common I think, not sure if you would smell it through the heater though, worth checking to see if the boot is wet around it.

34 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

My last 986 had this smell in the boot, turned out to be a cracked tank.

IIRC cracked coolant tank is a fairly common complaint for very old Boxsters.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

IIRC cracked coolant tank is a fairly common complaint for very old Boxsters.

The give away for this is that you are losing a lot of coolant and the red light on the temp gauge is blinking slowly indicating low coolant level.  Not so likely to make the cabin smell particularly only when the heater is on.  Matrix leak is most likely.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mortzz said:

Hi all i dont use my 986 much but took it out the other day and found only when i put the heater on i get a very strong smell of Antifreeze, im thinking there may be a leak with the heater matrix? thing is i dont seem to be loosing any Antifreeze, an ideas? its a 99 plate 2.7

many thanks Andy

I'm in the same boat. Are your windows steaming up as well? That's the clincher for a leaking heater matrix. Thankfully (I say that - I haven't done mine yet) it looks like a comparatively simple job. No dashboard removal!

• 1 month later...

Mine was the heater matrix. I changed it a few months ago, but I still have an antifreeze smell from the vents.

In my case, the smell is only when using a temperature that requires a mix of hot and cold air (so anything apart from Lo or Hi) and not when I'm using Recirc.

I'm guessing there's some stale anti freeze from the old leak somewhere in the system, but does anyone have a way to clear this without disassembling too much of the system?