No tip, no problem?

Langers

On 3/24/2024 at 8:46 AM, Davey P said:

The heart wants what the heart wants mate. In your case I would say stick with a Tiptronic, and you will love it 👍

Couldn't agree more, my Tipto allows me to "Waft", soak up the ambiance and zone out in a way you can't achieve with a manual.   Yes I appreciate the greater connection to the vehicle through the manual, but the auto allows one to relax and connect at an ethereal level....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Langers said:

the big factor that I won't actually have seen it, let along get a PPI done. Am I being utterly foolish?

Yes. That’s why you’re here. Otherwise you’d be on LeaseSkoda.Net. 

9 minutes ago, Langers said:

, it might have no engine for all we know.

Less to worry about then!

Actually, I think your wife is very sensible.

It didn’t sell, so get in touch to arrange a viewing pronto. There’s a deal to be had👍. Did anyone see what it reached? I only saw £7700.

When I go to the selling page it has a box marked “Still interested?” In the top right, click on this and it brings up a contact form. 

5 hours ago, Langers said:

Thanks Nobbie, yes have done that - will report back as and when I get a response. 

Good luck, hope it’s a good un and you can make a deal.

Agent replied that the car can be secured for £14,500 all in. I’ve asked to view, hopefully will hear back tomorrow. I’m not sure it’s the £14k car seller reckons it is. Might still be a deal to be done though.

5 minutes ago, Langers said:

Agent replied that the car can be secured for £14,500 all in. I’ve asked to view, hopefully will hear back tomorrow. I’m not sure it’s the £14k car seller reckons it is. Might still be a deal to be done though.

I would advise you get the car inspected on a ramp if at all possible prior to handing over any payment.

1 hour ago, Langers said:

Agent replied that the car can be secured for £14,500 all in.

Not cheap by any standard. And no one wanted to bid above 10k?

Eyes open for that one. 

28 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Not cheap by any standard. And no one wanted to bid above 10k?

Eyes open for that one. 

My thoughts precisely. 

After some suspension work and other bits and pieces, it would be circa 17-18k and that is a lot of money for a 986.

• Like 1

@Langers I know you were put off by the distance but it might be worth getting in touch with the guy with the one on Autotrader in Redditch, in that ad he mentions its been maintained by Zuffenhaus. There's someone on here that uses that company I'm sure of it, so they're reputable. I reckon if you rang and asked nicely they will probably remember an Anniversary if they have looked after it for a period of time.

The bad photos might just be an old boy with a cr*p old phone without a penchant for photography, rather than someone trying to hide something.

It's surely worth an hour of your time trying to find out more.

Alternatively - I know @Langers that you said that a 550 Anniversary was your dream car - but is it that much of a dream that you are happy to restrict your choice this much, and pay that much extra for it? (OK, so I know it's possible the Anni's will hold their value better - some people will pay a lot more for them, obviously, but I'd guess that most 986 buyers wouldn't.) You'd have so much more choice of good cars, and more cash left over to put towards things that are probably going to need doing on any car of that age. If I was buying a 20 year old car to drive, I'd rather put my money into something more tangible than a Limited Edition badge and a few unusual options - but I do realise that everyone's preferences are different ... just a thought, certainly no criticism intended :)

1 hour ago, Jimbop90 said:

@Langers I know you were put off by the distance but it might be worth getting in touch with the guy with the one on Autotrader in Redditch, in that ad he mentions its been maintained by Zuffenhaus. There's someone on here that uses that company I'm sure of it, so they're reputable. I reckon if you rang and asked nicely they will probably remember an Anniversary if they have looked after it for a period of time.

The bad photos might just be an old boy with a cr*p old phone without a penchant for photography, rather than someone trying to hide something.

It's surely worth an hour of your time trying to find out more.

Yes I contacted this seller a couple of weeks ago, car looks fantastic but although he said Zuffenhaus checked it over, neither they nor anyone has serviced the car since 2017. Admittedly it’s only done 4,000 miles, but seven years without a service doesn’t inspire great confidence. 

9 hours ago, Langers said:

Yes I contacted this seller a couple of weeks ago, car looks fantastic but although he said Zuffenhaus checked it over, neither they nor anyone has serviced the car since 2017. Admittedly it’s only done 4,000 miles, but seven years without a service doesn’t inspire great confidence. 

You're absolutely right. Bit of a coin flip that one. Shame

@Langers   A nice sounding 986S Tip just put in the for sale section on here! no mileage given but seems to have a lot new parts sorted recently.

3 minutes ago, Toddie said:

@Langers   A nice sounding 986S Tip just put in the for sale section on here! no mileage given but seems to have a lot new parts sorted recently.

Yeah, I wondered about mentioning that to him but he didn't respond to my post above so I thought I'd stay quiet :)

Here's the thread, and I'll tag him as yours didn't work properly:

@Langers

3 hours ago, Jon61 said:

Yeah, I wondered about mentioning that to him but he didn't respond to my post above so I thought I'd stay quiet :)

Here's the thread, and I'll tag him as yours didn't work properly:

@Langers

Hi Jon

Thanks for your messages. I am not ignoring you I promise! What you mention about VFM (not to be confused with VPL) is absolutely true.

My reasoning for the special edition is based on many factors. I’ve not discounted other Boxsters or Porsche models by any means. 

The main motivation is that knowing I cannot get my old Boxster back - I must accept that that ship has sailed - my way to resolve this is to find something better. That’s proving quite hard!

I’ve looked at 997s and been offered 996s but honestly they do not feel better, different yes, as easy to love I am not sure.

What would I choose over my old car? Not much, the main thing would be the rear screen as the karate chop each time was a pain. I do prefer the three spoke steering wheel, sport seats definitely a bonus and my wife loves heated seats. Bose might be nice. GT silver is fabulous, I prefer black dials, would adore a cocoa brown interior, Carrera wheels are amazing and the spacers do seem to give it a muscular stance, and I do like good plaque.

Lots of 986s lack things I became accustomed to: sound pack and door speakers; most do not seem to have full leather and door cards. Silver is my favourite colour on the 986. I’d miss all those.

I’m used to annually servicing my cars so do not expect to be able to match my 23 service stamps, but struggle when I see a car with just 6 or 7 in 20+ years. Mine did not have lots of dirt inside or dents outside, again not looking for perfection but cannot believe how poorly some people neglect the basics.

You might be thinking why did this idiot sell his Boxster then? I have asked myself that too. The answer, not that it is particularly interesting, is a combination of factors, including crippling backache whenever I sat in it (turned out I needed two major back operations); a progressive illness not getting better any time soon (but now under control with meds) - “you really ought to get rid of that car”; lockdown, during which I lost both parents,; my wife became very ill; my two immediate neighbours underwent total refurbishments taking months; my garage was rendered unusable by the local police who destroyed one of the walls  (turns out they are asbestos) attempting to get to a criminal who was hiding in it; and several other factors, not least a slowly increasing small pool of oil underneath the car, my wife constantly reminding me “you never use the car, why have a car you never use?”* and Sadiq Khan declaring my car definitively ULEZ  non-complian, which definitively it is not, I have since discovered.

I need to get over it.

This seems a positive way of doing so.

*It was in fact my wife’s car, which I inherited when we married. I had a 911SC at the time. People used to ask “why do you need two Porsches?”. The answer clearly is “because three would be excessive”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes that’s true.

I don’t have anything against 986.1 and actually really liked the wheels it had. Not sure it’s right to put glass in place of original spec? Same goes for clear lenses. What it had was original and correct. Apart from the Ruf exhaust - so maybe I am wrong?

I just feel nothing will come close to what I had, so I need to better the overall package. I don’t mind an S or even a 2.7 or even another 2.5. But its Top Trump card must be able to beat my old car’s one. Eg “Seal grey” - “Arctic silver”: I win. “Arctic silver “ - “GT silver”: you win. 

Edited by Langers