Water leak

scorpio63

Hello to all the Boxster drivers.

I have a problem . Can someone give me advice.

I own a Boxster 2001 3.2S -82300 miles.

6 Weeks ago I started the car to keep the battery topped up and took the car for a spin. I noticed a very soft whirling noise. No warning lights on and the Boxster performed well. The following weekend I started the Boxster up and the noise had become more noticeable (high pitched almost, like something was spinning). I immediately turned the ignition off and before doing so I noticed the red coolant warning light had come on. The engine had not got warm(running for 10 seconds at the most). I checked the coolant level and noticed it had dropped and required 3/4 of a pint to top up. I checked round inside for damp carpet to no a vail. I have since found out that the water pump on the Boxster requires replacing every 30,000-60,000 miles. I have owned my car for 9 years and have not replaced it. I have since checked the water and I topped up with 1/4 pint( I could have misjudged topping up first time round). The car has not been driven since as I am very unsure what to do and would appreciate any guidance or advice. 

Is the tank filled to MAX?  If so if you remover the plastic plate the the oil and water filler sit in you will see another cap with a U shaped metal piece on top.  Lift this up and run the car up to temp until the fans kick in to the second high speed at about 95°C.  Ideally park the car slightly nose down whilst doing this, or jack the rear up, which should vent the system.  Remember to flick the metal lever down once done and replace the plastic cover plate.  Check you water level regularly for the next few weeks as they can take some time to 'burp' through properly.

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I am reluctant to start the car because of the noise I heard. The car is parked on a slight gradient front first. My assumption was because the water pump is at least 9 years old and the water has been spot on up to this point ,it leads to the water pump being faulty. Any thoughts would be appreciated..thank you

Take the bulkhead panel off from behind the seats to gain access to where the water pump sits. You can then remove the serpentine belt and check the water pump pulley for play. If there is play then it’s likely this is the cause of the leak. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do this stuff. If this is a bit technical for you and you don’t want to start it then your only option is to get it recovered to a garage to investigate. It does sound like a water pump failure.

Have you checked under the car for water escaping? 

Hi

Thank you for replying. The drive has a grass insert down the middle, so checking for water is not possible. The noise I heard was probably the impeller or bearings in the pump ( not mechanically minded so excuse me). The water pump has not been changed in my ownership( 9 years).

2 hours ago, scorpio63 said:

Hi

Thank you for replying. The drive has a grass insert down the middle, so checking for water is not possible. The noise I heard was probably the impeller or bearings in the pump ( not mechanically minded so excuse me). The water pump has not been changed in my ownership( 9 years).

What area are you?

3 hours ago, scorpio63 said:

Thank you for the reply. I live in Fareham, Hampshire...

Send me a DM if you like as I maybe able to help.

The workshop is in Lower Sunbury so not a million miles away from you :)

Thank you for your reply.

I will attempt to remove the inspection hatch from behind the seats this weekend and hopefully I will see some indication of leaking. This is a learning curve for me...

21 minutes ago, scorpio63 said:

Thank you for your reply.

I will attempt to remove the inspection hatch from behind the seats this weekend and hopefully I will see some indication of leaking. This is a learning curve for me...

@scorpio63 It is quite straightforward, slide and tilt both seats forward to create space.  Carpet is held in with a couple of discreet cross head screws on the seat belt cover sections.  Once the vertical carpet section is out there are about 13 10mm hex headed bolts to remove.  A impact driver with a 10mm socket will be you friend, otherwise lots of turning with a spanner or ratchet.

31 minutes ago, scorpio63 said:

How do I do a DM on here..

Click on a persons forum name / handle.  Resulting screen has an icon looking like an envelope near the top.  That will open up a new message to them.