Holy mother!

Are you trying to insure her with a provisional license? I would imagine that having a negative effect on the premium compared to a full license. My first car was a Fiesta 1.1 when I was 17 and the insurance was ~£1100 TPFT which reduced substantially after the first year, so it's worth the pain up front to get the first years no claims. After two years it only cost about £300 to insure fully comp. (I'm now back into the 4 figure sums though now with the 986 at 21 years :()

Oh well takes all sorts. Has he invested in a Dart Tag?

:blink: Is that the pre-pay Dartford crossing thing???

If so, no, I doubt it, he is only 16...

No, it's the pre-pay rubber johnny machine tag.

:lol:

I had exactly the same scenario - went with Diamond on a 10 month policy - new 1.3 Ka- for £800 per 10 month period.

I went on as a named driver and the policy came down massively.

You can no longer put yourself as main driver and your daughter as named if this is not genuinely the case.

They will not stand for it anymore.

After 10 months if all is well she gets 1 Year NCB.

My daughter is still with Diamond ( 2 1/2 yrs) now she has passed her test and has just renewed for £595 for a 12 month policy.

Seeing how Stoney wisely ignored the smutty comments. A friends daughter was in a similar situation. Actually worked out cheaper to buy 2 new Ford KAs on consecutive years than pay out for insurance. They are probably interest free now and are a great car for the money.

S

Oh well takes all sorts. Has he invested in a Dart Tag?

:blink: Is that the pre-pay Dartford crossing thing???

If so, no, I doubt it, he is only 16...

Ahh it will be a tag around his ankle :lol:

Seeing how Stoney wisely ignored the smutty comments.

Listen I've got a 16 yr old and a 18yr old - if you don't ignore the smutty comments you'd go mental.

Anyway the biggest worry for insurance companies, and parents, is boys not girls.

At my daughters school two dead and four serious all in seperate motor accidents THIS YEAR !!!- and all boys , none girls.

I genuinely wonder what goes through the boys' minds - is it :

I can drive how I want and I won't get into problems

OR

I can get out of problems if they occur ?

I can drive how I want and I won't get into problems

OR

I can get out of problems if they occur ?

I'd say it's probably a combination of the steering wheel, dash & windscreen...

Sorry, missed this thread. I was thinking the same as you on that last comment Paul. It's all down to the nanny state, where kids aren't allowed to take risks any more. They get to driving age, and don't realise they're not immortal.

As to the insurance, I've been through it with both of my girls.

No. 1 Suzuki offered a cheap insurance scheme through UK Insurance Ltd on their cars. It must have worked, as she's had three Suzukis now, though she doesn't have their insurance.

No. 2 works for Tescos, and so got her insurance from them online for her Clio. Staff plus online discount worked out at about £150, then she got clubcard points on the balance.

Insurance companies don't seem to like youngsters driving German cars. French/Italian/Spanish seem to all have low insurance.

Both our girls policies were just over £1k for the first year, and contrary to popular belief, a provisional licence is usually a lower risk.

For anyone with boys, you'll be looking at a 50% loading on the policy. :bored:

• 3 weeks later...
Any pics?

Simon, whatever is wrong with you is NO little thing :P:P:D:D

PaulB I am in a similar position but try doubling your quotes and that will give you an idea of insurance premiums over here on the Emerald Isle.

On the plus side though it doesn't seem to matter what group the car is (up to group5 anyway).

Bizarrely, it's £1100 to add our oldest to drive the muck spreader as a learner, but once she passes her test she will no longer be eligible to drive on that insurance policy. So that will be £2600 to insure a pop up toaster or equivalent :angry2:

I get the inflated premiums as I do not subscribe to gender having anything to do with driving ability, there are men AND women out there who can't drive for shyate. But I can't get my head round the once passed test no longer eligible bit at all.

Perhaps we should let them drive without insurance like a lot of the little TWOCers and when/if they get caught and when/if they actually get taken to court (for a measly £80 fine or thereabouts) worry about it then as they seem to only get a wrist slapping (deprived childhood and all that, probably trautimised them when they couldn,t get Pink/Blue wheely things on their Cayanne :D )

• 3 weeks later...
At my daughters school two dead and four serious all in seperate motor accidents THIS YEAR !!!- and all boys , none girls.

It's Testosterone and it's going through their testicles. It's a well known fact that high levels of testosterone cause a special valve in the corotid artery to close subsequently reducing blood flow to the brain. Parents should encourage their teenage boys to masturbate on a regular basis and in particular, before they drive. ( Here comes the science ....) Free blood Testosterone levels drop to basline immediately following orgasm and then take a few hours to reach a peak again. Having a baseline testosterone level reduces aggression, hence improving driving. Oh, and by the way, it stops you going bald. That's how you can tell the w*nk*rs in the pub....they're the ones with a full head of hair.

Back on topic....have you tried www.swiftcover.com? They more than halved my insurance premium.

Off for another haircut.

Good Luck.

Col.

My daughter will be 17 in September, she is very keen to learn to drive, so I have started making some enquiries. She likes the VW Lupo's and I thought it would be a sensible little car to start out in. Found a nice 1 litre example for about £2.5k so thought I'd check out the insurance...

Feck me, £1,663 is the cheapest I could find (confused.com)!

It is no wonder that so many youngsters are driving around with no insurance... <_<

Try putting it in her name only, 3rd party fire and theft and pass plus. Our daughter 18 (19 on september 3rd) learnt to drive in a 2001 Fiat Punto 1.2(the car cost 2K), the insurance in her name was £599, to renew in 2006 (with pass plus) was £397 and she is just getting quotes for her 3rd year. As a named driver on our policy she was more expensive, insurance companies now feel that this is a scam, us parents insure the cars and the youngsters only drive them and bump them. We used Tesco on line.

Archived