I need to burn these b*st*rds!

Under UK Law I am required to transfer my foreign drivers licence to a UK licence within 12 months of becoming a resident. I have recently complied. The issue date on the licence is now 26 Jan 2010. I am currently insured with the post office for my boxster and received a renewal notice for 611.00 quid based on non protected maximum no claim bonus. When I rang them to appraise them of my compliance by way of transferring my licence with 19 years driving experience to a UK licence they asked the issue date then promptly declared me a new driver.

When I highlighted the idiocy of this arrangement and the blatant profiteering they are attempting they dropped a load of bullshyate about how the system doesnt allow us to change the quote and thats the law based on your driving licence issue date.

Given I am legally required to have a UK licence and given I am legally required to hold insurance to drive a motor vehicle in this country I consider this highly irregular and blatant nepotism... and shocking profiteering.

Consequently I demanded that someone with a brain contact me tomorrow to discuss this matter as it would be wise on their behalf to have it resolved in my favour as the excuse that the system doesnt allow us to change it is legally not justification for the price hike - about 350 quid !!!! It doesnt make sense, if I was truly a new driver my insurance would be around 2500 quid, but they are now quoting 950. So clearly they are attempting to profit from the change under a loop hole..

I need some advice on the best way to expose this, to create a shyate fight, to cause the maximum amount of headache and problems for the Post Office about this. I would like to make sure that it is well known they are attempting this. It is disgusting.

Any advice on how to proceed is very much appreciated. PM me if your worried about libel. My first port of call will have to be the ombudsman once the post office inevitably continue to feed me a line of shyate, then I was thinking of posting the situation on Bview and any other sites you can recommend. Was also considering going to the press as well. Any thoughts and recommendations GREATLY APPRECIATED.

b*st*rds!!

Under UK Law I am required to transfer my foreign drivers licence to a UK licence within 12 months of becoming a resident. I have recently complied. The issue date on the licence is now 26 Jan 2010. I am currently insured with the post office for my boxster and received a renewal notice for 611.00 quid based on non protected maximum no claim bonus. When I rang them to appraise them of my compliance by way of transferring my licence with 19 years driving experience to a UK licence they asked the issue date then promptly declared me a new driver.

When I highlighted the idiocy of this arrangement and the blatant profiteering they are attempting they dropped a load of bullshyate about how the system doesnt allow us to change the quote and thats the law based on your driving licence issue date.

Given I am legally required to have a UK licence and given I am legally required to hold insurance to drive a motor vehicle in this country I consider this highly irregular and blatant nepotism... and shocking profiteering.

Consequently I demanded that someone with a brain contact me tomorrow to discuss this matter as it would be wise on their behalf to have it resolved in my favour as the excuse that the system doesnt allow us to change it is legally not justification for the price hike - about 350 quid !!!! It doesnt make sense, if I was truly a new driver my insurance would be around 2500 quid, but they are now quoting 950. So clearly they are attempting to profit from the change under a loop hole..

I need some advice on the best way to expose this, to create a shyate fight, to cause the maximum amount of headache and problems for the Post Office about this. I would like to make sure that it is well known they are attempting this. It is disgusting.

Any advice on how to proceed is very much appreciated. PM me if your worried about libel. My first port of call will have to be the ombudsman once the post office inevitably continue to feed me a line of shyate, then I was thinking of posting the situation on Bview and any other sites you can recommend. Was also considering going to the press as well. Any thoughts and recommendations GREATLY APPRECIATED.

b*st*rds!!

When I first returned to the U.K. in '96 i had problems with my insurers re. NCB, it took me almost 6 months to sort but eventually it was accepted and the "over payments" were refunded, this was not, however, the post office!!!!

All I can recommend is getting a declaration from your previous insurer as to your NCB and having this to hand when you speak to the PO rep. Remember that Call desk employees are given a very basic training and are not in a position to deal with anything more than 2+2 makes 4.

Was the licence you exchanged an EU licence?

I think I probably didnt explain the stupidity involved in this situation properly.

PREVIOUSLY I have been through the NCB saga and got it accredited as 9 or more years. I have a renewal notice in front of me that shows I have the NCB.. lol So its not a NCB issue, its a loop hole regarding the issue date of my NEW UK LICENCE, which was as a result of a transfer of an AUSTRALIAN one with a clear record and over 19 years of experience... in Australia, the middle east, Europe, USA and of course the UK.

They basically saw the opportunity to tack on a bit of spangoolies on a technical loophole and they are going to faaarken pay badly for it.

I really don't see why you are getting in such a twist about it. They are a commercial body, not a charity. They have risk models based on age, gender, driving experience and length of time you've held a licence - and statistically you are now a worse risk.

You are quite within your rights to obtain your insurance elsewhere, and I would do just that. Don't do it direct, but go to a broker, who know who to speak to at insurance companies, and will argue your case with them. Brokers don't charge a lot, but will certainly earn their money trying to help you.

Pleased you got it sorted, over here in Jersey we are required to surrender our UK licences and obtain a Jersey licence.

Feck that I'm English, you're not having my licence, I gave them some BS and kept it, the rub is Jersey drivers have to renew their licence every 5 years.

This costs at present £40, goes up every time, you are not tested on your ability to drive nor on your knowledge of the highway code, they simply take you for £40 and update the date on the licence.

Must be a nice little earner for them - feckers.

you have to renew every 10 years in oz, getting a UK licence is great - cheap as chips.

I just found it really offensive that clearly I had a full licence before, clearly I have a full licence now... yet they are declaring me a new driver. Theres no change in the risk profile its all about the stupid tart behind the computer trying to put one over me.

and statistically you are now a worse risk.

Statistically he is not a worse risk - statistically given the limitation of the system calculating the premium he is a worse risk. The system simply does not take due account of his situation and he is being penalised as a result.

jmpower1974, I can understand why you are p*ssed off but is it worth the effort? You've already taken your business elsewhere - isn't that enough?

I also doubt very much it is the "stupid tart behind the computer" - why would she?

I also doubt very much it is the "stupid tart behind the computer" - why would she?

I think he meant through her incompetence rather than anything else, which is probably right.

I agree with the others, let it go, they've lost you business so fek them.

and statistically you are now a worse risk.

Statistically he is not a worse risk - statistically given the limitation of the system calculating the premium he is a worse risk. The system simply does not take due account of his situation and he is being penalised as a result.

jmpower1974, I can understand why you are p*ssed off but is it worth the effort? You've already taken your business elsewhere - isn't that enough?

I think we both know what each other means. :P

Yes, it is amazing how perfectly normal (probably) people become obstinate, arrogant and halfwitted when they work for insurance companies.

Due to owning different vehicles and also sorting out renewals and claims for self and other family members I find myself doing the insurance goat-dance many times in the year.

For example:

Every March SAGA attempt to mug my 80 yo Father-in-law into paying an inflated premium which miraculously gets reduced by 50% after I get a sensible quote from Direct wine or some such. Tbh sometimes I don't even bother getting other quotes, just pick a reasonable figure out of thin air and tell them to match it-which they invariably do.

Just this month, my 18 yo Daughter had a 2nd year quote from Direct whatever which was more than the previous year (she did have a bump-her fault hence no ncb) due to being an apprentice instead of a student! What? I got a quote from Elephant who tried to undercut by giving 10 months instead of 12-sneaky. However, by the simple act of putting me and the Mrs as named drivers on her policy it was reduced by £500! We don't even have to drive the car for dieties sake!

Policy ammendments are another rectum ache, they always try to charge £25 or whatever until you 'speak firmly and distinctly' (but don't say buck or fugger or they'll hang up) and they use their discretionary powers (wow) to knock it down to a tenner or so, which is a bargain for 30 seconds labour and a piece of A4 paper lol.

Basically, these insurance front bottoms make it up as they go along. Insurance is one of the greatest cons perpetrated on mankind by other (sub)human beings. As The Great Man Himself - Bill Hicks- said about admen, If you work for an insurance company..................

I had similar problems when I came over from Oz. Direct Line were the only company that would honor my NCB and driving history. I don't think you can really argue with the insurers, as each would have their own underwriting guidelines, policies, etc.

Who did you go to in the end?

Archived