Extend insurance mileage

Daveyh70

I have a 3k limit which when I bought the car seemed like more than enough. Now after 3 months I have done nearly 2k. Is it possible to extend on limited mileage policies? Are these just guidelines or does my insurance cease at 3001?

The car is addictive and as I get to know it more I am enjoying it more and more, I am holding off taking it to a track day as I am scared of breaking it...

I really hate this, when was the last time you purchased a loaf of bread and the price was based upon how quick you were going to eat it, okay that's a bit of a stretch so try this one, you get a quote for central heating is the price and subsquent warranty based upon how often you have the heat on? No of course not.

I always reply when asked about mileage " if I exceed the mileage I give you now and someone steals my car are you going to back out of the claim" the reply is usually " well we just need to assess your mileage to give us an idea of usage" okay so if I tell you 20K p.a. and I only do 5k are you going to give me a rebate or a credit at the end of the year ? by now they have lost interest and I always say 20K miles even though it's not because I can't get a straight answer.

I see you're porblem.

If you have a limited or a set mileage policy its often the case the price you paid would have been less that a standard 15-20k per annum policy. It's all based on stats, so the insurers will have stats to say if a particular car is on the road less then the percentages odds on you having a claim are less. This again is based on all sorts, the majority of motor claims happen on the daily commute, so if this journey is not happening then odds reduced. If you do have a limited mileage policy and you go over, it is possible that if your car is stolen or you have an accident and the insurers check then they could have a reason not to pay. I'm most cases you can normally call up and up your mileage for a small additional premium.

For your information the Boxster policy I am selling is not limited on mileage, we take an estimate for information and stats.

• 1 month later...

The difference between 3k and 5k should be negligible, and cover what you expect to do - especially as winter is nearly here.

If you have a limited or a set mileage policy its often the case the price you paid would have been less that a standard 15-20k per annum policy. It's all based on stats, so the insurers will have stats to say if a particular car is on the road less then the percentages odds on you having a claim are less. This again is based on all sorts, the majority of motor claims happen on the daily commute, so if this journey is not happening then odds reduced. If you do have a limited mileage policy and you go over, it is possible that if your car is stolen or you have an accident and the insurers check then they could have a reason not to pay. I'm most cases you can normally call up and up your mileage for a small additional premium.

For your information the Boxster policy I am selling is not limited on mileage, we take an estimate for information and stats.

Oh yes and dont forget the additional £30 to cover the admin charge (10 seconds on the computer)

• 3 weeks later...

So I added another 2000 miles for £108, I wish now I had gone for an unrestricted policy..... Anyway it was a case of sunk cost so the best way forward was an extra payment... Next year I will do some more ringing around and I will make sure A Plan are on my list at the top....

I remember years ago when I had a 2,8i Capri there was a rumour that one insurance company had started cancelling policies.

As always the twunts tried to ruin it for everyone, they were insuring their cars on a 'Second car' 'limited mileage' basis when it was actually their only car and were piling the miles on. Obviously there were not the same levels of computer resources in them days :laugh:

When I was with AON and they transmogrified into Footman James they automatically upped my annual mileage allowance from 3K to 5K and it was also cheaper, go figure :shiftyeyes_anim:

• 5 months later...

My insurance company checks invoices from dealer visits to compare miles in a given period.

I really hate this, when was the last time you purchased a loaf of bread and the price was based upon how quick you were going to eat it, okay that's a bit of a stretch so try this one, you get a quote for central heating is the price and subsquent warranty based upon how often you have the heat on tires? No of course not.

I always reply when asked about mileage " if I exceed the mileage I give you now and someone steals my car are you going to back out of the claim" the reply is usually " well we just need to assess your mileage to give us an idea of usage" okay so if I tell you 20K p.a. and I only do 5k are you going to give me a rebate or a credit at the end of the year ? by now they have lost interest and I always say 20K miles even though it's not because I can't get a straight answer.

I see you're porblem.

Archived