Renewal Pricing

So the red telephone company sent me a renewal of £620... I thought that is a bit steep being more than 2x what I paid last year... So I went on to their website and ended up with a price of £150ish which is is 1/2 what I paid last year....

So game of 2 halves, first half big disappointment with such a high price, second half great come back with such a low price...

Why do they do this, do people really just auto renew (I know they do because that's what my wife does).

Anyway just thought I would share....

I think that they must have a suckers list - people who have been with them for years and are known to auto renew. There was a case in the TV recently where an older woman had received a renewal for £1200 and her daughter got involved and it came down to £250...........with the same company!

My dad doesn't understand it he often says "but I have been with them for years and never claimed" I explain that insurance companies exist to make as much money as possible but he can't believe that a company can be as mercenary as that.

Every year use a comparison site, never auto renew, have no loyalty to any company - its the only way to insure at the very best deal and that's not just for car insurance - any insurance policy.

I know the adverts indicate some companies don't use comparison sites - but what they don't say is that they have a sister company that does use comparison sites which offer comparable insurance - but at a better price - after all they are quite savvy about trading and wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to take someones cash, they give the impression that they are above using a comparison site to sell because of principals or they don't want or need that type of business - its all a lie.

The red phone company is also the Johanna Lumley posh insurance site - its a privillege

Sometimes I auto renew, sometimes I don't!

Changed car insurance company every year so far,

Motorbike policy has been on and same company for 2-3 years as they are either within £'s of each other or are genuinely offering the best cover & cheaper, i.e all clothing, extras, breakdown, legal cover included.

The 2 weeks before a renewal give me a purpose in life, getting quotes, phone calls, emails and texts. I'm Billy No Mates the rest of the year!

Indeed, good info. It's worth noting that the red phone company tends to discount their online quotes and sometime new customers. Also if you have another policy, eg travel.

I'm with them this year as best quote found. I also have travel with them which discounts the car policy some too. The renewal for travel is always high so I checked out a new quote and bam it's much lower. So I call up and say so. Sometimes the person says fine we'll match 'our own qoute', but sometimes they've said no. So I cancel the renewal and take out the new quote. It's a silly prossess and costs the people who don't look into it every year ££££.

Archived