So. Someone Drove into me.

Capa

Well, to update on this.

I binned off the idea of using Albany & insurance companies for anything at all and am doing the work privately. If I didn't have ambitions of getting a mortgage then I might have been up for dealing with the potential hassle, but things are going to be a bit tight in 9 months, and I'm just not willing to entertain the idea of things going south at that moment in time. I also didn't want my insurance to go up - indeed it would rise £120 next year, and the claim wouldn't be removed for another five. For the sake of this kind of dent, I decided against it.

I have had to get over the fact that the offender has got off Scott free, but, well. That's life.

Last weekend I whipped the bumper off and did my best with a heat-gun:

IMG_1476.jpg

Not perfect, but not immediately noticeable from a distance. I'm going to get some quotes to see how much it would be to get it properly sorted, but I can imagine it will be a case of a new bumper, really.

Thanks for the advice, all - could well be in a lousy situation of trying to recover money from an unwilling company and £400 out of pocket currently.

Well, to update on this.

I binned off the idea of using Albany & insurance companies for anything at all and am doing the work privately. If I didn't have ambitions of getting a mortgage then I might have been up for dealing with the potential hassle, but things are going to be a bit tight in 9 months, and I'm just not willing to entertain the idea of things going south at that moment in time. I also didn't want my insurance to go up - indeed it would rise £120 next year, and the claim wouldn't be removed for another five. For the sake of this kind of dent, I decided against it.

I have had to get over the fact that the offender has got off Scott free, but, well. That's life.

Last weekend I whipped the bumper off and did my best with a heat-gun:

Not perfect, but not immediately noticeable from a distance. I'm going to get some quotes to see how much it would be to get it properly sorted, but I can imagine it will be a case of a new bumper, really.

Thanks for the advice, all - could well be in a lousy situation of trying to recover money from an unwilling company and £400 out of pocket currently.

Well your result is looking pretty good. I don't quite understand what 'didn't' happen with the insurance though.

I've been unfortunate enough to have experienced two claims, although some time ago now that I think only 1 is within the 5yrs.

First time car was parked, 3rd party admitted fault and I used their insurer directly (only informing mine). They required no exccess from me.

Second time I was hit at a cross junction, again 3rd party at fault, police and ambulance jobbie. Used my insurance this time but as the 3rd party admitted fault my insurer didn't want the excess as fault was already admitted, they'd claim it off the 3rd party.

I'm glad neither of the above claims was for the boxster and hope I've had my run of bad luck for now:)

The bumper can be repaired to be perfect looking once repaired and painted to match by an experienced shop, no need to buy a new one. AS is difficult to match but I swear it can match perfectlt. Been there, done that, both front and back and you could never tell.

One thing you do need to do is look at the bumper shocks and cross bar and make sure they are functional. Could save you lots next time.

Looking at the pics, I think it is probable they are all right. But look.

I hope you get it sorted but for me, the neighbour getting off 'scot free' is not an option I'd find acceptable. I'd be delivering them a legal letter with the cost of the new (albeit second-hand) bumper with a demand for payment, taking into account their admission of liability on the day it happened and your witness on the day it happened. being on benefits is not an excuse. The second option in my letter would detail having a new bumper fitted by Porsche with the considerable costs that'd incur. If they can't pay, they should sell their texpayer-funded car to cover the cost. End of.

I hope you get it sorted but for me, the neighbour getting off 'scot free' is not an option I'd find acceptable. I'd be delivering them a legal letter with the cost of the new (albeit second-hand) bumper with a demand for payment, taking into account their admission of liability on the day it happened and your witness on the day it happened. being on benefits is not an excuse. The second option in my letter would detail having a new bumper fitted by Porsche with the considerable costs that'd incur. If they can't pay, they should sell their texpayer-funded car to cover the cost. End of.

What if they are on disability benefit and the car is their only source of mobility?

It's easy to judge when you don't have the full facts, Capa has made his judgement perhaps respect that.

It is easy to judge and my post probably came across as more as a rant than I intended. The fact is someone may not be accountable for their actions and the innocent party suffers. Shame.

Agreed, I'm not defending their actions in failing to take responsibility.

It is easy to judge and my post probably came across as more as a rant than I intended. The fact is someone may not be accountable for their actions and the innocent party suffers. Shame.

Agreed, I'm not defending their actions in failing to take responsibility.

I know. I'm sorry if my original post came across as agressive, as I'm not a horrible person. I hate innocent parties having to carry the can for the behaviour of others. I had a couple of youths hit the side of our Boxster on a moped (no plates or helmets) then manage to get back on and speed off before I could get to them. Then we had the car vandalised, a large rock thrown at it in an attempt to break the back window but missed and damaged the boot, brake light, roof panel, roof, windscreen surround and front wing on its trek across the car. As with the original poster, it's down to me to foot the (considerable) bill due to the excess and fear of the insurance being loaded for several years. It's a sorry situation :-(

I would be inclined to agree with Mike and try for a mutually agreeable solution between you and the other driver.

IF that doesn't work then I would be sorely tempted to use my insurance for what it's intended (even though you will probably get shafted).

Also agree with Mr E above regarding only taking loan cars if you actually need it.

Fingers crossed you get sorted out Matey and hope your month improves :D

feck me, are my eyes deceiving me ?

:laugh: with the amount you post even you are bound to make a sensible post every now and again ;)

I would be inclined to agree with Mike and try for a mutually agreeable solution between you and the other driver.

IF that doesn't work then I would be sorely tempted to use my insurance for what it's intended (even though you will probably get shafted).

Also agree with Mr E above regarding only taking loan cars if you actually need it.

:laugh: with the amount you post even you are bound to make a sensible post every now and again ;)

what's your excuse then? ;)

I'd almost go as far as to say thread resurrection on this one, but there we go. :)

Pandy, that is, exactly my approach. Unfortunately the S has a slightly different bumper than the one you've posted, but you're on the right lines. I'm going to hang around until an S one in the right colour comes up, and then I'll swoop for it. Judging by the condition of some of them up for sale, I might even be able to get a little money back selling mine on, too.

Insurance came down to two crystal clear cut options:

• I pay my excess, eventually claim it back. I don't have the money of my excess sloshing about in my bank, and I flatly refuse to put it on the credit card. Yes, this is the preferred option, and bad planning on my part for not having that excess sealed away somewhere ready for instances such as this. Ironically enough, next month my excess drops to a much more palatable amount of money, but again. Life's usually like that.
  • I use this claim company. It's a credit agreement. The whole thing stinks, and right now I'm trying to get a mortgage. The last thing I need is an outstanding credit agreement with a potentially shonky company on my record. Furthermore there are many documented instances of the company in question dragging their heels and taking 40+ weeks to recover the money. I don't want that on my record for one month, let alone ten.

And then there's option three. Deal with it and take it on the chin. That's what I did. I have to admit, this option was a little more preferable to me than with some of my previous cars, as to be honest I'm I'm not really enjoying life with the Boxster, so the fact it's got a little scratch doesn't bother me quite as much as it usually would.

Sure, I could begin legal proceedings, but even if I won - after incurring a lot of personal hassle - the chances are I wouldn't get near the amount I'd actually want - even £250 for a new bumper. Call me cynical, and whilst it shouldn't impact on the decision made by whoever was judging the case, who is the sympathy going to fall with? The poor, benefit laden woman struggling to make ends meet for her kid, or the twenty four year old w*nk*r driving the Porsche?

I'm not bitter; she's a moron, but these things happen and I just have too much going on to give the incident more thought. I was umming and erring on the process, and I decided very simply that the coin had to fall down on one side or the other. I've done the above and run with it.

Mikefocke. That's interesting to hear, the bumper is 'crinkled' around the dent - I'm not sure how a body shop would deal with this, and it would require (presumably) heating and re-shaping of the bumper. Do you think a body shop could do this? I've had the bumper off when I was pushing the dent out, and yeah - everything behind it looks in decent nick. Even cleaned out the rads of damp leaves whilst I was there.

Moocow - don't worry about being aggressive, I've had to defend my stance on this one to far more aggressive people in person than yourself. :)

I swear Mike and Exy get the love-in on whenever I'm about. :fez:

what's your excuse then? ;)

I usually just take the opposite line to yours, I find that's the most sensible solution :D

Archived