Should I Have Declared My Wheels?

rowbos

2 hours ago, cjd said:

I phoned Admiral and declared my new wheels when I fitted them.

They where OK, and it cost me nothing to do it.

You might be covered but will they actually replace like for like. Covering the 'risk' is nkt necessarily the same as replacing for the same part. 

51 minutes ago, Boxob said:

My own view and I suspect the view of the "man on the Clapham omnibus" is that a factory fitted option is not the same as a modification. If insurance companies wanted certainty then they could ask whether the car has "factory fitted options or modifications" or define modifications in the small print to include factory fitted options.  If they do not then following a well tested legal principle the document would be construed against the party that drafted the document. Further the insurance industry will not have helped itself when it has been inconsistent in its own interpretation (in the absence of specific wording).

On renewal this year I mentioned I had added spacers. I was asked whether they were factory fitted or fitted by me. It was the latter and I had to change company to one which was not sensitive to my modification.

Given the potential for insurance companies to exploit the wording best to be upfront about factory options AND modifications thus drawing attention to your distinction and to check the small print.

You're confusing the issue.  Admiral do not attempt to equate after-market modifications with factory fitted options.  They ask if there are any modifications from the manufacturer specification.  They *separately* ask if there are any optional extras fitted to the car i.e. anything above the base model and they don't specifically ask if these are factory fitted or not.  These are not IMO unreasonable questions to ask, what they do with that information I don't know but you can assume it's fed into the risk assessment in some way.

I know this area varies from Insurer to insurer, i always make the point of trying to be clear on every question, and unless they are specific always make the point that the car is not altered, to the best of my knowledge, from how it was originally made/supplied by the dealer.  

Leaving aside after market alterations, I do wonder how many owners would actually know what was or wasn't an option fitted to their car - whatever the make!

The point of asking the question about modifications is primarily looking at safety elements, putting non original wheels or tyres for instance - this could increase the risk of an accident.

Factory fitted options are not modifications - they are simple a choice like leather or cloth seat covers. However, if you buy secondhand how would you know what  may have been modified or not.

As far as im concerned I answer truthfully their questions - I don't KNOW of any modifications - They are asking me - a non expert to make a declaration - If they need an expert witness to confirm then they need to be asking an expert to view the car before agreeing to insure you.

So unless you've taken something off the car and bolted something different on then your answer has to be No modifications.

2 hours ago, Glyn said:

The point of asking the question about modifications is primarily looking at safety elements, putting non original wheels or tyres for instance - this could increase the risk of an accident.

Factory fitted options are not modifications - they are simple a choice like leather or cloth seat covers. However, if you buy secondhand how would you know what  may have been modified or not.

As far as im concerned I answer truthfully their questions - I don't KNOW of any modifications - They are asking me - a non expert to make a declaration - If they need an expert witness to confirm then they need to be asking an expert to view the car before agreeing to insure you.

So unless you've taken something off the car and bolted something different on then your answer has to be No modifications.

I'm afraid most of your assertions are incorrect. It's a valid point to ask what the second-hand buyer of a vehicle is reasonably expected to know about its standard specification; but outside of that:

- The questions around modifications have little to do with safety.

- If an insurer deems factory-fit options as modifications that they should have been advised of; then for the purposes of their offering you insurance and the validity of your insurance in the event of a claim, 'modifications' are what they are.

- It's not for them to provide witnesses for anything - it's for the person requesting cover to give the insurer ALL of the information they require to enable them to make a decision around whether they wish to offer cover.  The onus is on the policyholder to provide full and accurate information - period.

- What you knew or didn't know is relevant - up to a point. I've successfully argued on behalf of clients that they did not 'reasonably' know that a car was modified (or had factory options that should have been disclosed).  However, if the insurer would not have offered any cover had they know the car had factory-fit options of a particular type or value, then whether you knew about them is not an issue - they'll void your policy and kick out your claim - and that's what the law entitles them to do.

- For the above reason, your final belief around who has removed or bolted-on what and how this determines answers to the modifications question has proved very costly to an awful lot of people and is, in the main, incorrect.  

I think after reading all of this discussion I will definitely call Admiral and run this past them - and offer to provide the service book sticker detail to indicate factory fit options. If notifying them of the factory fitted wheels now counts as a modification to the policy so be it. To be honest after spending over an hour on the phone sorting out my multi car policy I don't remember exactly what I was asked about modifications or if they asked about factory fitted options but to the best of my knowledge the car is currently as originally delivered in terms of specification. 

Thanks again for the opinions presented!

Does their website offer no help?

I'm with Saga and their guidance says

'Modifications are changes made to the manufacturer's standard specification for the car. Examples would include; changes to the bodywork, mechanical changes, changes to the engine management system or suspension etc. You don't need to tell us about optional extras that were fitted by the manufacturer when the car was new, such as; parking sensors and rear view cameras, navigation equipment, bike racks etc, or if a tow bar has been fitted at any time.'

I have just spoken to Admiral. Gave them all my details and asked the question about factory fitted and delivered condition and they have confirmed that as long as my vehicle is to the specification as delivered by the factory and matching the delivery specification as detailed in the service book then that is fine, no additional charge or notification required.

So I am going to park this one and stop worrying :D

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised that Admiral gave you that answer.

When I insured my SQ5 through Admiral Multicar, they wanted to know all the extras fitted and this took an age as there were 11.

The darkened rear windows caused a slight rating

Archived