Should I Have Declared My Wheels?

rowbos

One thing has just occurred to me - I have just insured my new toy...

My 987 has 19" Carrera wheels (factory fitted as delivered according to the delivery sheet I have) - should I have mentioned this when I went through the insurance details with Admiral?  When asked if there were any modifications I stated that there were not as far as I knew - these wheels were an option I believe but were factory fitted - so does this count as a modification?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

IMHO, factory fitted is the specification of the car as it left the factory.  If anything happens to the car, your service book gives the coded list.

If you want to cover all bases, give your insurance company a copy of the vin sticker in the service book, and let them decide. :)

1 minute ago, rowbos said:

Good call - I don't want them to have any excuses if I have the misfortune to need to claim!

But you're with Admiral. :huh:  Not wishing to worry you, but it took me 18 months to get satisfaction with one of their subsidiaries over a claim.

They would be hard pressed to not pay a claim because you had options fitted from the factory.

Just make sure you have the paperwork should anything happen - mine has 18" wheels as an option from the factory :)

47 minutes ago, rowbos said:

That made my heart skip a beat, I think at this point I may go and bury my head in the sand!

Lets hope I never have cause to claim!

Don't worry too much.  The car wasn't run on the mill, and it took over 3 months for their body shop to get the claim together and order the parts - and then another 3 months before they 'thought' it was fixed.  It was another year of arguing the difference between what they thought was acceptable and me, before we agreed on the final payment from them for additional work to be done.

No. Factory fitted so end of. Relax.

(BTW I had a similar discussion with Admiral years ago on a Celica T-Sport. ... no claim but each year at renewal they said certain spec was "non standard" even though a factory car !!)

It really does depend on the wording of their question re. modifications - I.e. some insurers treat factory options as non-standard modifications and some do not.  Without looking at their question set, I can't tell you what Admiral's stance is on this; but I deal with them several times a year on clients' claims and when it comes to utilising Ts&Cs to the detriment of policyholders, they are, to be frank, brutal.

if you're unsure, it's definitely worth a call to them.

51 minutes ago, M12MTR said:

^^^ this is why I stopped insuring with Admiral - they were a royal PITA and (I got the impression they) would make any excuse in the event of a claim.

Nice to know.

Thanks may take them off my short list because of that, if they are ever on it.

Guvs.

IMO if it left the factory with them then they are 'standard' otherwise where do you draw the line? SatNav needs declaring if you have that instead of Sound Plus? 19" wheels instead of 18's? Black interior instead of Carerra Red?

Aftermarket additions are a different story...

And you have the FInancial Ombudsman to go to if the insurer gets shyatety come claim time too, dont forget. i dont advocate the complaints world we live in BUT if you had problems come claim because of these things, then IMO this is exactly why the Ombudsman is there (and for).

1 hour ago, boxsternoob56 said:

.....i dont advocate the complaints world we live in

I do......  This is me.  Policy Assist Linky

The reality is, a policyholder is looking at a 6 month journey to get an adjudication out of the Financial Ombudsman Service and even then the majority don't get the result they want.

To be fair to insurers; a Boxster leaving the factory having been ordered with every possible option is a very different car to one that left the factory with no options at all. 

Mmm.

I think I will call them and make sure.

I don't ever want to claim.  but I need insurance to be insurance that's going to work if I ever do need it. No point in taking any chances.

Thanks for the insights.

13 hours ago, R2MUL said:

I do......  This is me.

I suspect we could change the direction of this thread between us (which I dont want to do)...I am pretty sure from your website that you 'help' with situations rather than make claims that have little or no foundation (which is what I really have issue with). :)

3 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

I suspect we could change the direction of this thread between us (which I dont want to do)...I am pretty sure from your website that you 'help' with situations rather than make claims that have little or no foundation (which is what I really have issue with). :)

Exactly that.  I turn down a reasonable number of prospects on the basis that their situations are self-orchestrated and were entirely avoidable. :)

11 hours ago, rowbos said:

Mmm.

I think I will call them and make sure.

I don't ever want to claim.  but I need insurance to be insurance that's going to work if I ever do need it. No point in taking any chances.

Thanks for the insights.

Other thing to consider is that if you call them now & advise, they may consider it an upgrade & then take the opportunity to try & charge an additional premium.

Some insurance companies have very dubious 'ethics'. I had all sorts of issues when my 986 got written off... I've now insured with the PCGB preferred company, Lockton, who deal in top end cars. It seems a good policy & I like the fact that you have an account manager do you can talk to someone specifically about your policy who knows the marque. No issues so far & not a massive amount more than my renewal.

My experience with how I was dealt with when my 986 got written off resulted in me searching out another company at renewal time, with good customer feedback a priority with my decision making. Didn't want to re-insure with a company that utilised underhand tactics to line their own pockets at my misfortune.

There's a good chance that both of the above statements are true - i.e. They may well charge an additional premium for the increased risk (in their view) that factory options present - but in the event of a claim, their policy wording suggests they would only pay out for standard replacement parts.

40 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I don't know if its the same now, but Admiral used to treat any factory options as mods, and in the event of a claim would only pay out the value standard part.

This is what admiral do.   Specifically they ask if there are any modifications from standard or any manufacturer fitted options. 

My own view and I suspect the view of the "man on the Clapham omnibus" is that a factory fitted option is not the same as a modification. If insurance companies wanted certainty then they could ask whether the car has "factory fitted options or modifications" or define modifications in the small print to include factory fitted options.  If they do not then following a well tested legal principle the document would be construed against the party that drafted the document. Further the insurance industry will not have helped itself when it has been inconsistent in its own interpretation (in the absence of specific wording).

On renewal this year I mentioned I had added spacers. I was asked whether they were factory fitted or fitted by me. It was the latter and I had to change company to one which was not sensitive to my modification.

Given the potential for insurance companies to exploit the wording best to be upfront about factory options AND modifications thus drawing attention to your distinction and to check the small print.

Archived