Here's another one...

Daniel Joseph

Thanks, Jason.  Here's a better view:

test%20051%20edit_zpstrlkrcjm.jpg

The tail lights were also an extra.  I'm not sure what they were called (smoked?) but I like the clear covers and "3D" look, which matches the head lights.

The roof hoops really do pop, were they a factory option that was ticked on this one?

Really like the spoiler design too, very subtle and integrated but looks great and functional. Smoked tail lights aren't my cuppa, but I can see the appeal and how they match the dark headlights. Very nice car you've got yourself! 

Bringing it to Beauliue at the weekend?

I can't take any credit for the spec, as that was down to the previous owner.  I bought it recently as a Porsche Usdd Approved car, originally on a 64 plate with 4k miles.  The factory extras fitted are:

19" Boxster S wheels with coloured centre caps

Roll over hoops in body colour

Smoked tail lights

Parking sensors front and rear

Twin exhaust pipes

Leather

Heated seats

Dual zone climate control

Sports steering wheel

CDR+ and Sound System Plus

De-badged

I agree about the spoiler, much neater, IMHO, than the new 718, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Thanks for the nice compliments guys, much appreciated.  Luckily, the car was specced up pretty much as I would have done it, had I bought it new.  The only thing it lacks is sat nav.  I don't need it, but it might be an asset for future resale.  That said, I hope to hang onto it for a long time.  It's a "dry weather only" second car, garaged when not in use, and I don't expect to do more than three to four thousand miles a year.  I wonder if late, low mileage 981s might be something of a future classic, given that they will be the last of the flat-six NA Boxsters?  However, I still intend to use and enjoy it, not wrap it up in cotton wool.

I'm a new member to this forum and really enjoying reading about all things Boxster.  My previous one, an '06 987, is now owned by a good friend of mine, who absolutely loves it.  In the six years I owned it, the only unscheduled work it needed was replacement of the engine temperature sender unit and the air-con rads.  For anybody out there worried about an oil weep from the engine main bearing, mine was always a bit "damp" but never dripped oil and never needed topping up between services, so don't panic!

Having recently driven both cars back-to-back, I would say that, if the 987 is a 10/10 drive, then the 981 is a 9.5/10 drive, the difference being a slight loss of feel through the electric power steering on the latter.  The 987 is truly astonishing in the visceral way is connects you to the road.  I remember the first time I drove one, I thought there was something wrong with it, the way the steering felt so "nervous", but it was just a matter of acclimatisation. (My previous car was a Mk1 TT Quattro, which drove as though it was on rails but was in no way a sports car, hence my shock at the feel of the Boxster.)

11 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

I wonder if late, low mileage 981s might be something of a future classic

Haha, how many times have I read something like that recently on here, substitute 'late low mileage 981' for 'arctic silver & boxster red 986' , 'air-cooled 911', etc ... :lol:

19 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

Haha, how many times have I read something like that recently on here, substitute 'late low mileage 981' for 'arctic silver & boxster red 986' , 'air-cooled 911', etc ... :lol:

I haven't paid much attention to it, but isn't the last air-cooled 993 generation 911 rather more valuable than its water-cooled successor, the 996?  Either way, cars are meant to be enjoyed, not "invested"!

That may well be right, Daniel, I was just commenting on the number of times this theme crops up - one of the things we love to argue about debate on here ...

And you may well be right about the 993 too -  I had an early silver/red 986, and I now have a late 981, so yes of those three, it probably would be the 993 that made money ... :weeep:

Archived