boxster rear lights

RobsterD

Hi fellow Boxster owners just purchased my first Boxster 996 - 97 vintage R reg from Mortimers in Billingshurst

The car comes with non standard rear lights and was wondering to get back to spec what should I be looking at ?

Cheers Rob

16a1c49920b235fc656e138b35defe26_zpsk3np

Hi Nobbie ,Thanks thats interesting thought most people would prefer original spec.

Had a lovely T reg MkIV before I hit a bollard and lamp post ,drove home zig zagging across the road :-)

Robster, a well as the rear lights, you presumably realise that the side indicators are also non-original for an R-reg? I would have guessed the fronts would have been changed as well but I see you say they haven't? 

If you want the car to look 'standard', the red calipers could conceivably have been an original option, but more likely they've been painted since (they were only red as standard on the later 3.2S). Also, the slats in the side engine vents should be black not body-coloured.

See my first Boxster of the same vintage:

r56jpe1_zpsorzysyga.jpg 

PS welcome to the forum!

Hi, RobsterD.  That's a nice looking Boxster you've got yourself. Do tell us more about it.  As it is a 1997 (pre-facelift) Boxster, I believe the standard fitting would have been amber indicators front and rear, and the same for the side repeaters.  Are your front indicators amber or smoked?  If smoked,  then either of Southy's suggestions would be worth considering.   Good luck with the new car.  

PS: T reg Mk IV?   Spitfire, I guess?

Thanks for the replies 

Just given up 25 yrs of company car usage to take up a job without a car gone through Audi 1.8T,GTi's Type R's etc so thought I'd get something that was in tune with my old days Triumph Sptitfires and a TR6,so looking forward to getting back to proper driving/motoring 

Would like to get the Porsche back to original spec,its got 50k on the clock....tiptronic etc so all  help appreciated 

Ok, your in luck, if you want to -re-amber the car it's quite cheap as a lot of people go the other way and swap amber for clear.

You could sell the lights on the car fund the new ambers and profit :)

side indicators $18

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-996-986-Amber-Side-Repeaters-Boxster-Side-Indicators-/291773123242?hash=item43ef088aaa:g:E7oAAOSwzchXRaeN

$_12.JPG

Rear lights

$0.99 start

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Boxster-986-rear-lights-both-sides-/172240985629?hash=item281a5cde1d:g:pHkAAOSwjXRXX9k2

$_57.JPG

LED front DRLs too! Someone will buy those for a tenner, probably.

Is the car your only one or you have a daily driver as well? Does your soft top have a glass or plastic rear window? If plastic I'll throw in another idea. Sell the hard top (standard value £500 in autumn) and use the money to buy an upgraded soft top, which will have glass rear window so you can fold it without fear of cracking in the cold weather, and will probably come with thicker hood liner so it is warm enough in winter. (If you live in a cold part of the UK, like Scotland or Wales, you may not agree with that...). That way you can have the soft top all year round and flip it down on crisp winter mornings, and you don't have to worry about storing the hard top.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi got the plastic rear window but gonna keep the hardtop as I like the coupe look,may investigate a different colour when a bit more settled only had it a week,softop clean and sparkle this weekend .

Have sourced the rears,repeaters in amber nice and cheap but  the front headlight corners seem to be more difficult are they easily broken when removed hardly any on ebay and the ones that are available clips are broken .

Cheers Rob

12 hours ago, mavis.d said:

If you want some ambers you can them for the cost of postage ?

Hi mavis.d

Thats most kind not sure I have access to pm or the classifieds yet,whats the best contact options for you ?

Many Thanks Rob

Archived