Looking towards the end of year for a 3.2s.

jimbob2911

Afternoon

My mate is looking to buy a 986 or 987 for around 10k.   I have told him he needs to buy one from someone who has looked after it and preferably from here.

What would you boys be looking at with a 10k budget!   He wants the 3.2s!

Thanks 

Yes, reasonably priced, but would you want to drive it in the daytime ?

I can't see from the pics, but do all the red interiors on 987's have extended leather like the 986 ?

how about - 295bhp - although higher tax - but 295bhp :) 1 owner from new - seems like plenty of 987S about even more so in winter when the prices drop and the 987 and just going down at the moment.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605184062882?make=porsche&model=boxster&price-to=12000&page=2&aggregatedTrim=987 S&radius=1500&sort=locasc&search-target=usedcars&postcode=dy101xb&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&searchcontext=default&logcode=p&adPos=3

This thread gets me thinking, how much could I really spend on a Boxster?

i really enjoy the drive and the look and the " only one in the car park " factor. I just can't imagine spending more than £5k to feel it. I'd never buy a new one, I couldn't appreciate the difference. I can just about see where £10k cars can be pristine compared to my scruffier around the edges car. But I could/will tidy mine for less than £2k so still a bit bamboozled. Just telling me what the experience is worth to me, no reflection on anyone else. I gues the big factor is, I'm not bothered about the speed, so 2.5 is plenty for my middle aged mindset. That's probably the kicker. 

Excuse my thinking out loud.?

2 hours ago, Loz987 said:

This thread gets me thinking, how much could I really spend on a Boxster?

i really enjoy the drive and the look and the " only one in the car park " factor. I just can't imagine spending more than £5k to feel it. I'd never buy a new one, I couldn't appreciate the difference. I can just about see where £10k cars can be pristine compared to my scruffier around the edges car. But I could/will tidy mine for less than £2k so still a bit bamboozled. Just telling me what the experience is worth to me, no reflection on anyone else. I gues the big factor is, I'm not bothered about the speed, so 2.5 is plenty for my middle aged mindset. That's probably the kicker. 

Excuse my thinking out loud.?

I started considering a £6k 986, and may eventually get one of those, but I've revised my budget to get a more recent car as I do my own spannering and for my initial Boxster ownership I'd like to spend my time driving it rather than lying underneath it. For the same reason, I'd be quite happy with a young high mileage car where parts will still need replacing, but they won't all be rusted in place where a one hour job turns into a weekend. @Jason986S bought a well looked after car, but at that age stuff just needs doing and I got depressed just reading about the battle someone had getting a drop link removed on the front. Think they had to replace the whole assembly in the end:(

As @Nobbie says, I bought a very well looked at example, but I've still got plenty to do (all be it very minor). So no matter what used car you buy, there is always some spanner time somewhere. I need to clear out my condensors, pair of front tyres, make my callipers glossy again, for a short shifter. Re-wire my app radio (for iPhone6). Paint/fit speedster humps, buy/paint/fit side skirts. Mechanically (engine/brakes/suspension) it's great though. Mine is on 107k but it's probably better than a similar age or even slightly newer car with half the mileage and original parts  underneath. I paid sensible money for it too.

I bought a 104k 986 and planned to spend a grand which I figured I'd see most of back when I sold it. Now I'm less motivated by free motoring and more by the boxster ownership experience. I've been seduced to the dark side...

still look looking to create the Mona Lisa, but it's not an expensive proposition to own and drive a respectable Porsche. 

Funniest bit yet: a 924s costs more than a boxster!! 

Archived