Parking Sensors - retro fitting

funkee

Hi, I've recently bought an 03 plate 2.7 986. The car is in great condition and I want to keep it that way. 

So, as it has no parking sensors can anyone suggest if retro fitting them is a good idea (does it devalue the car by changing the original spec) and if it's a good idea can you recommend a good kit?

Looking on EBay there's a lot of cheap and nasty kits. I don't want that! 

Any advice much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Its a really easy mod (Porsche have even left you marks on the inside of bumper to show you where to drill/fit sensors). Personally I can't see it devaluing the car as long as its done properly. I did it on mine last year using this kit off Ebay CISBO Revers Rear Park Sensor Kit on recommendation on here somewhere. Really impressed with the quality of the kit when it arrived. The Dark Sea Blue was almost a perfect match for my Midnight Blue as well. It took a couple of hours to fit as the bumper has to come off. The only tricky bit I found was positioning the speaker somewhere that wasnt to quiet or noisey (settled on inside rear center cubby hole). Some of the kits come with a set LED distance lights as well but I didnt like that idea as it doesnt look like something Porsche would fit. You would have to be a Porsche anorak to realise mine arent standard fit.

Should have done mine sooner having managed to reverse into a Mercedes at the fuel station! DOH! :smoke1:

If you are thinking of replacing the head unit, I would recommend a reverse camera.  You might be able to spot mine between the two number plate lights.  I think they are so much better than the sensors (even at night):

IMG_007_zpsffveg87q.jpg

I swapped out the CDR23 and put a Pioneer double din navigation unit in instead.  It switches to reverse view on the screen when you put the car into reverse:

IMG_0067_zps58396842.png

12 minutes ago, funkee said:

Thanks. With it being a camera I take it you have to have a screen in the cockpit to view. Where did you put yours? 

Cheers 

The double din head unit  would replace your single din CDR23 you currently have (I think its a CDR23 in yours anyway) then when you put car into reverse the image from rear camera is shown on the head units screen..

I have some of the £15.99 ones from Ebay on mine and they're amazing. I had them on my last car, and have installed them on a few friends cars, as well as my girlfriends car.

Easy to install into the bumper (they come with a hole drill that's perfect size) and dead easy to install into the wiring - they just crimp onto the reverse bulb.

aHLLEQ7l.jpg

You can just about see them in that photo.

One of mine were rusted too and it prevented me getting the bumper off. I took it to my local garage and they drilled the screw out for me, free of charge. After that I took it home and removed the bumper.

Take one of the screws to B&Q and just buy new ones :)

5 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Mine are still sat in the box.

Whats the best way to remove rusted bumper screws ?

Try cutting a slot in them with a hacksaw balade or dremel with thin cutting disc then undo with a flat bladed screwdriver. If that fails drilling them out is the best option.

On 29 June 2016 at 1:20 PM, The Caped Crusader said:

The best aftermarket sensors I've come across are the Cobra parkmaster A0158 sensors.  They are completely flush, just like modern OEM spec ones. 

I have these fitted to my 987, they look just like my fathers factory fitted sensors to his 987. I am no machanic, terrible at DIY or anything remotely practical! I managed to install them with out making a pigs ear of the car ? 

On 29/06/2016 at 11:24 AM, RickLS7 said:

I swapped out the CDR23 and put a Pioneer double din navigation unit in instead.  It switches to reverse view on the screen when you put the car into reverse:

IMG_0067_zps58396842.png

Someone likes Evanescence I see!

19 hours ago, The Caped Crusader said:

Contact your local Chipsaway type folk to have them painted. 

Or paint them yourself. A quick burst of primer, then paint, then lacquer would make them look perfect (did it on my old car). They're tiny so no need to professionally paint as the surface area compared to the amount of product that lands on the sensor would mean that the coverage would be smooth anyway.

The £15 set I mentioned earlier came painted with 3 years warrenty & the dark sea blue is an almost perfect match for my midnight blue 986. Just ordered a second set to fit to my Audi (its got a tow bar but its rude of me to use this as a parking aid LOL)

2015-11-28%2015.10.43_zpsptqmz4sn.jpg

Archived