Complaints about noisy exhaust. .....

M12MTR

1 hour ago, TrickeyTattoo said:

I'll bring my Mrs aswell, after a few bottles of white she is louder than any car.

:laugh: awesome

lets all bring empty suitcases too, pretend we are all visiting for a couple of weeks :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stick a theodolite up in the garden facing his fence, two or so peeps dressed in suits with clipboards, a photographer, someone with a long wind out tape measure all being vocal enough so next doors hear what's going on.. Jeez that should have them sweating ginger kittens ......

Just read this, start to finish.  I can't believe that nobody mentioned builders sand and a granite worktop.

As for the fence on your land, I agree with watering it at the bottom - but then use a hydraulic jack to move it the distance you need, back-filling with earth on your side.  If you've already started writing letters, then forget it, as they will know you're upset with it.

eta: Why is this in 987 and not The Lounge?

I've also just read this for the first time, and a couple of observations. No planning is needed for a 6 foot tall fence, so if you wanted to make it taller you would need planning permission. Your neighbour is under no legal obligation to "finish" your side of the fence, although it is normally considered to be the right thing to do. Do you know precisely where you boundary is along your drive? Normally, they run in a straight line. Its difficult to tell, but from the picture it appears that the gravel part could be considered to be his property? and if so he has done nothing wrong other than make it awkward for you. If you think the gravel part is jointly owned, then a couple of inches could be looked upon as splitting hairs. If you are 100% certain that the boundary he has created infringes upon your property, then you are likely to win an action in court. However, this will prove to be very expensive, even if you win the case. A solicitor is always going to be prepared to take on a case! Whether they win or lose in court, they don't financially!

Personally I would embrace the situation, and not try to antagonize things. If you are still able to get your cars in and out, then the area is usable, and no different to what lots of people have to put up with. if you can put gates on the front, then it will likely improve things for you, and give you a nice private secure area. The thing what would most rankle your neighbour, is if you appeared to like his new fence. I wouldn't start to pour water on it - that would be dreadfully wasteful, and water is expensive. But I wouldn't be against you washing your cars in that vicinity! There can be no doubt, that in a more confined area the exhaust on your car will sound much louder, so take satisfaction that they have properly shot themselves in the foot!

Another option that you could consider is that of mediation. Do you have a neutral neighbour who gets on with you both? From what you say, his wife is the problem, and because of her brain damage, it is unlikely that she can be reasoned with, but might contribute to her having a shorter life.

Archived