Complaints about noisy exhaust. .....

M12MTR

I imagine that since "he" lost the fence debate, that he has stomped off indoors and been proclaiming how unreasonable you are to his other half - and that she has decided to take out the frustrations on you. We all know the right thing to do is to rise above it and be the better person but it's hard. 

Think you have handled it pretty well - don't lose sleep over it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 100db Aussie Petrol lawn mower you can borrow, makes the Porsche sound quiet :) 

I live in a cul de sac of pensioners, I work on the basis they should all be deaf now and no one complained about the lawn mower so my car is safe, although I make of point of driving slowly about - don't want them thinking I'm sme sort of speed demon breaking a 5mph speed limit

Couple of things spring to mind.

1) She is on her blob and will remain an enigma for a few days yet.

2) She needs serviced, post a piccie and we will advise accordingly ;)

why not take her a bunch of flowers, that would really annoy the old goat.

nothing worse than someone you hate/dislike being really really nice to you ...

^^^ ha ha. All fair points.

But if she's got the painters in it must be a miracle!!! 

Also I may be buying a new mower so will consider one now - 'they' have a petrol mower.... Jone's and Keeping Up and all that.

And I would not service her!!!! I have standards you know.

Thanks for the positive comments.... and yes I didn't lose my cool .... This time.

I spoke to the husband tonight when he came home. He tried to act 'dumb' to the incident.... he was "upstairs" he stated. 

But he did say this "I'm not threatening you but if it happens again ....." I stopped him there and said by saying that you are 'threatening' me. And I then said for "doing what..... moving my cars about???". He said the exhaust sound resonated into his house.... I retorted with "so you need new cavity wall insulation". :-) 

Other (polite) words exchanged but basically he thinks he's right and I was only moving 3 cars around..... at 4pm so well within my rights and the "law".

All in all a pretty sad situation. 

But I won't be buying her flowers ..... This could look like I had caused her a nuisance and I was apologising.

This ain't gonna happen ;-) 

Its very frustrating that she had a go in such an unprovoked way. Falling out with the neighbours can be bad sh*t. Give it time and although its tempting to 'escalate' to get back I would resist the temptation.

I fell out with my next door neighbour for two years over a stupid misunderstanding. We eventually sorted it out and I ended up supporting him and in wife during the last months of their lives.

Life can be weird .................:huh:

^^^  yeah I love a good wind up just like the next person but this isn't very constructive.

I really didn't ask for this situation.... but I will not 'tiptoe around' just in case she gets upset again (or calls the police / council on me for being a 'nuisance noisy neighbour').

I will do as I have done for 10 years living here.... be courteous and go about my own private business as usual. And if that means driving, starting, moving my cars - on my property - then so be it.

1 hour ago, M12MTR said:

^^^  yeah I love a good wind up just like the next person but this isn't very constructive.

I really didn't ask for this situation.... but I will not 'tiptoe around' just in case she gets upset again (or calls the police / council on me for being a 'nuisance noisy neighbour').

I will do as I have done for 10 years living here.... be courteous and go about my own private business as usual. And if that means driving, starting, moving my cars - on my property - then so be it.

no it would be deconstructive :)

Know what you mean...takes a strong man to rise above it...sounds like you are that man :D

15 hours ago, EXY said:

Couple of things spring to mind.

1) She is on her blob and will remain an enigma for a few days yet.

2) She needs serviced, post a piccie and we will advise accordingly ;)

You have an amazing insight in relation to the female 'condition'.

(May well be right though) :)

My wife collected a parcel from the neighbours yesterday, they asked if it was something for his 'car' and then proceeded to say how they were all watching me polish it the other day!  cheeky - no one offered to help!

Neighbours can be odd creatures. Pensioners also often have little to fill their time and so explode little issues into massive, world definitions moments. It sounds like your unnecessary amount of cars (I bet they have only one don't they) has grown to the point they are raging about it. 

Noisy exhausts can be a neighbour war thing tho (a mate of mine has a similar issue but his car is bonkers loud) but sounds like the former in my view.

i think when I grow up I'll probably be a weird neighbour. One of ours has a party, maybe once a year, which goes on all night in the back garden and p*sses me of royally. And another neighbour has their asda shop delivered at 6am. Fekking crazy. But it's low priority for me to care really. But when im old with no job and nothing to do, it'll have the makings of a war. :D

• 2 weeks later...

They are funny sometimes. Ours came around and asked if they could change the fence from 4ft to higher so we said sure but could you possibly keep it to 5ft with a 1ft trellis (like the other neighbours have done) so we can keep our sunlight please. We then went on holiday and came back to a 6ft bamboo trellis shabbily tied to the wire fence. We told them our honest feelings and offered to pay half  the cost of a more visually appealing solution - they declined. That was two years ago - again without consultation they installed part two - no trellis and just a 6ft fence - why bother ever asking!!!

Well   well   well.

I thought the 'twisty tw8ts' next door had had their fun...... now... After destroying my rear fence and arguing about it for 4 weeks (at Easter).... I come home from work tonight to see a "Berlin Wall" adjacent to my long drive. Effectively making my drive useless.

I talk to the t055er about it... I'm polite... he's being a total tw8t. ... then he threatens me ... in front of my 6 and 8 year old.... he repeats.... I don't respond..... he raises his voice and basically says "come on now let's sort this out like men"    (what an idiot).

Me "I'm going to rise above you and walk away" this only infuriates him more.... he threatens me again.

I turn my back and go indoors. ... but I think about it... and what he said. .... I'm NOT accepting that... he threatened me x4 times shouting at me. 

I called 999. Police came and took my statement. 2 hours in all. Then went to speak to him.

I'm feking furious. ... but I kept my cool.

I've spoken to colleagues... is this correct .... he cannot erect a 6 foot high fence on 'open plan property'. ????

Any legal advice very much welcomed.... as this time I go all the way.

Cheers. 

^^ cheers....technically the new erecting is on their land.... but.... my boundary line from my garage 'line' is 7 1/4 inches... but the posts gradually reduce down (each post closer) to under 5 inches.

Now that doesn't sound alot but when it's reduced the capacity to use my drive - the position of the fence is crucial.

Also. Is he allowed to erect a 6 ft high fence when it's 'open plan'.

Anybody know the answer to both??

If as I assume you took that picture from your side, by accepted "rules" he should have really erected the fence with the cross struts on his own side so the neighbour (you) get the plain better looking side, but then unfortunately it is not law, just accepted etiquette.

Other than that......good luck with your quest for balance, they seem like complete kn0bs!

Hi Mark

There may be something identified in the title deeds of the property and estate. You need to get a copy and review what the deeds say. They are usaually in legal speak but you can usually decipher what it allows and what is prohibited. For an estate it will be similar for each property. Normally the rails of a fence and posts are placed on the owners side as boxbrownie says.

Unfortunate that they have gone the 'full hog' and not only been threatening but territorial,

One thought to cheer you up is they are obviously more p*ssed off than you are and totally pre-occupied with the situation. Your opportunity to stay on the 'front foot' by keeping them in a state of turmoil (nothing too serious) and let them waste the rest of their lives being ar*eholes! :lol:

Archived