Complaints about noisy exhaust. .....

M12MTR

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selfish, self centred neighbours are a royal pain in the backside.

I have one that insist the "common ground" entrance for the allocated parking is hers - thus she has doubled her allocated parking space and, if she thought about it, I can't get access to my parking space.....then she decides I'm not allowed to put my wheelie bins in front of my parking space (not on her self appointed land) as it's "common ground"

I put up with 8 months of her moving my bins back before I told her to F'off and stop being so childish.  The final straw was when I saw her brushing back her tree debris that had floated on the car wash suds towards the drain on her land.  She is one of those that everything is fine as long as it suits her, a real busy body that thinks if she puts others bins out etc she can rule the cul-de-sac.  She is on a final warning in my mind , one more pathetic encounter and I'm off to the council to report her for running a business out of her dwelling.

Good luck with your  "fight", I hope sense prevails for once.

Plant leylandii, noting which way the light/shade falls.

The only thing I can constructively say here is that you need somehow to make him want to remove the fence, preferably as it makes him look bad.  Forcing eg legal action won't help in the long term.  At minimum, informing him that his act with the fence has now taken 15-20% off the value of his house as it is clear evidence of a neighbourly dispute, there is no other reason for it.  A big sign in your front room window saying "Look what my petty-minded neighbour has just done" is tempting but likely you'd get your car scratched. "Oh look, Donald Trump lives next door to me" would be amusing for a few. Bolting a 45degree-upwards roof to the side of your house, which then funnels all the exhaust noise onto his side, would be a race to the bottom... but maybe gratifying in the short term. Normally I would say go to the local paper, but if it is spun as "retired headmaster fights against Porsche-driving nuisance neighbour", as would be so easy to do, you're stuffed.

You could attempt to make use of the exposed few inches of land somehow. Keep using them for 20 years or so and they get transferred to you.  That might be something to play with.

Patt - not sure what the other neighbours think, but she is setting a set of rules by custom; maybe the other neighbours don't agree with her appropriating those rules? ;)

Good luck.

my issues are minor in comparison - it's just the same level of selfish thought process.

I'd be watering the bottom of those posts and hanging as much weight to them as I could to weaken then...whilst following the same course of action regarding complaint.

But I have lost the will to tip toe about and be over thoughtful to most of my neighbours now as it's just not reciprocated in the slightest. I do still have the "no machine tools before 10am" curfew.

Spoke to my solicitor today...... she said the 2 1/4" post over my boundary can be contested as it causes an obstruction to me using my driveway.

But the letter(s) they would write are pre-emptive court action .... are not guaranteed to make the tit next door move it back the 2 and a bit inches.....

And after my initial chat with the solicitor today it will cost £185 (plus VAT) per hour.... basically this cost per letter written...... and it may take "several letters" before it ever goes to court. Wow that could get expensive.

So.... back to my plan "b".... I quite like having a safe car port area and the t1t not brushing past my cars... so I fancy spending this money instead on having some nice 1.8 metre high gates made... same wood with a pattern perhaps... but solid and not see through. This would create a safe and lockable car port.

Plus the gates would open outwards and cause a slight viewing issue for the n088er next door. Win.

(My solicitor also checked my deeds and read out to me "no fences / shrubs / hedges / barriers can be built or grown on / between boundaries in front of the dwelling building" (or words to that effect)..... and she confirmed this means he CANNOT build a fence running any further forward.... so hopefully he doesn't try..... but I still have an inkling he will..... Time will tell eh).

Cheers for all comments and advice people....

(Plus he has stirred us into revamping our garden.... getting new slabs to enlarge the patio area next to his shed .... so we can place our kids 14 foot trampoline there..... right next to the fence...... boing boing ... nice one lads ..... :-0 )

Why not increase the height of the fence on your side - to show that it doesn't bother you then you can put a Perspex roof between it and your house to make a nice light carport to store your car under that should p*ss him off as it shows that not only does it not bother you but is actually helpful in making storage for your car.

You know the bit of fence that is 2inch on your side.... Couldn't you therefore attach a giant flag to this or something? Just to p*ss him off?

I hate the thought hes nicked your land and can get away with it. I wonder if just one solicitor letter will sort it, shows you are serious?

My dad had a dispute with a neighbour who's dogs would bark at him everytime he went into the garden...what he used to do is water the bottom of the fence panels. full length of the garden, up and down, to wind up the dogs such that they would churn up the neighbours garden on the other side of the fence...

This maybe a different situation (no dog) but if you wanted to be petty you could do better than watering the posts like Patt says....just water the whole fence, up and down for hours on end...now that would be almost as annoying to him as  you reviving the car...except you can always leave a sprinkler running whilst you are out ;)

Still think half a doxen Boxsters will be a good start to your war....

And mount a CCTV camera on the corner of your house (real or dummy), inside a tinted fishbowl so he can't see which way the camera is pointing.  He'll do his nut convinced it's pointing at him. You can even say it's to record future threatening behaviour.

On 18/07/2016 at 8:11 AM, Jason986S said:

I would no be surprised if he fences are far as he thinks he possibly can, all the way to the pavement and around his garden. 

Yeah... part of me thinks that too.... but I have been told by my solicitor this would be breaking the law and if he did and I challenged it (which I would) he would have to take it down.....

(And if I had to I would kick it down).

On 7/18/2016 at 9:45 PM, Menoporsche said:

And mount a CCTV camera on the corner of your house (real or dummy), inside a tinted fishbowl so he can't see which way the camera is pointing.  He'll do his nut convinced it's pointing at him. You can even say it's to record future threatening behaviour.

Or at least buy a cheap dummy camera that looks like you are monitoring things?

Cheers Angus... looking to buy a DVR CCTV setup in next day or 2.

I cannot believe my neighbour of 10 years has suddenly started behaving like this towards us.... I think he's going senile. 

he's being short sighted....one or the other of them will die soon and the survivor would probably welcome a 'good neighbour' to look out for them....burnt that bridge now I'm guessing?

As I said before things/people change when you get old. I think your neighbour's are moving off the spectrum but when they start to fail totally be considerate. They appear to have lost perspective ............:mellow: 

1 hour ago, Toeside said:

As I said before things/people change when you get old. I think your neighbour's are moving off the spectrum but when they start to fail totally be considerate. They appear to have lost perspective ............:mellow: 

I would second that.  I know it doesn't help you at all, and may not even be the case here, but all sorts of health conditions (that are more prevalent nowadays than they used to be, especially in the elderly) can cause people to behave seemingly irrationally, and also to become more self-centred/less considerate. It sounds like you got on with them ok before. So it's just possible they may not realise how oddly they are behaving now.

don't you have the right to remove something put on your property without your consent ......5 cm is still 5cm the fence is on your property . i would remove it  with proof its on your land) and leave it on his drive with a note . stating . put in on your own property next time .....

Yeah I've read that. Cheers FH.

And I thought to do that.  But I'm thinking that would be churlish. .... plus I plan a double gated driveway.... and I will attach my post to his post .... for 2 reasons. One his poat does encroach my land and Two he attached the new rear fence to my garage (this new rear fence was when he started acting like a d1ck ).

He shouldn't have a comeback if I attach my post to his.... if he does then I will remove the front post and completely take down the rear fence as this is FULLY on my land. 

Now then Mark

Just read this thread, bloody hell you're having a time of it aren't you. Neighbours eh ? Good luck Mate with the situation and hope it gets resolved amicably.

Cheers

Re CCTV you need to be aware of this government site.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property

If the posts remain on your property for 12 years any land they assume could be claimed as his. You need accurate deeds measurements so you can be definitive about the property boundaries.

Attaching your posts to his may again back any claim as you have accepted the situation and his placement of the posts.

Take some pictures as things are at present and keep a log of 'incidents'

You have some options:

I would do a letter starting with a polite paragraph expressing your regret that they feel such animosity towards you especially as there was no previous issue between you however as you have not done anything that could be deemed to breach any expected or required behaviour or torts you are outlining the situation as explained to you by your lawyer. Outline the legal status, boundaries, ownership etc supplying copy of any documentation (land registry, deeds etc).

I would also require him to remove, move any of his property to comply with the boundaries as laid out in the legal documentation giving him a reasonable time scale after which you will remove it and place it on his land.

If you want to be magnanimous you could offer to meet somewhere neutral and discuss a way forward.

Put this in a letter (keep a copy) to be delivered recorded signed for so there is a record of receipt.

OR 

Put up with situation which it is evident will not improve and hope they kark it in under 12 years.....

Oh and if they get silly and start threatening to get the police involved don't worry, they won't be interested as its a civil matter unless criminal damage or threatening behaviour are involved.

My mother had a similar situation with neighbours which eventually was resolved when they moved away. She tried all the pleasant and adult methods to resolve it but the guy involved was a d!k. I did offer to have a meeting with him without coffee but mum declined the offer.....

Good luck

Cheers John. And big thanks @Shazbot for the advice.

I was thinking something very similar - writing an official letter requesting the repositioning of the fence. I will be getting CCTV and new gates to make a nice enclosed driveway.

But I will insist he moves HIS fence onto HIS land.

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, TrickeyTattoo said:

Whats the status of this now M12MTR? Was a great read at work.

When is the boxster meet aswell? Will happily drive up from London to wind your neighbour up.

Agree 

and @Guvs & any other bikers can attend and remove the baffles from our exhausts too to help with the acoustics ;)

Archived