Eclipsed by a GTI - no longer a legend

Mr96er

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I had a think about that, as we were all speed demons when younger (probably) and chased speed - but outright speed wasn't so available, or if it was it was a lot slower.  I think what they value is being first, winning, either on the road or at the bar.  But what they lose is, as you say, the feel.  I always remember with my first car, a cheap Caterham copy, I would take it out alone around the Surrey lanes at 1am and have a great laugh tearing round the bends. Even if I'd get out-dragged by a 2.0 Sierra during the day, it was still fun by itself. Whereas these days, I'm guessing the thrill is in beating someone else, rather than driving for its own sake.

I'm not sure the driving has a huge amount to do with it TBH, aren't they just a status symbol for young lads? You want to be the one with the latest, fastest, coolest car. You might well drive it fast, but most likely on straight road so that you can post a picture of your speedo showing silly speeds.

I find that driving a car to it's limit is very satisfying, whether that be a Peugeot 107 or a hot hatch. The catch is that driving a hot hatch to it's limit will put you in serious danger of death if something goes wrong, whereas the risk with the 107 is lower due to the lower speeds achievable.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the most amusing/fun cars we have had have been the 2CVs in our life, not fast but immense fun and you have to learn "flow driving" to keep progress up, and about one of the only cars on the road you can drive flat out without breaking to many laws :D

Archived