Eclipsed by a GTI - no longer a legend

Mr96er

3 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

The car is tuned. My son did his apprenticeship at VW, he's working his way into an F1 pit. Next week he's at Santa Pod to show off his wares. 330bhp on the road as is. He's hoping for more...

Not to be 'that guy', but it's important to note that he'll destroy his career if he's caught speeding

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was that guy as soon as I saw the picture. Already has 6 points. He knows what's at stake. He's acknowledged my views, and at 22, and as a dad he's got to learn to make quality decisions. Whatever happens, I'll be there.

1 hour ago, Loz987 said:

I was that guy as soon as I saw the picture. Already has 6 points. He knows what's at stake. He's acknowledged my views, and at 22, and as a dad he's got to learn to make quality decisions. Whatever happens, I'll be there.

Indeed, but I've seen and worked with techies who find out too late that you need a license to get a job.  Not the most transferable skill, and it's not like you can earn better on your own without the ability to drive.

None of the garages I worked at would hire you if you had been banned, past or present.

The daftest decisions make the longest regrets

Agreed which is why he's now investigating RoSPA Gold certification? If he insists on driving fast, might as well have some roadcraft under his belt. Not a foolproof system, but for fast road driving awareness, not much out there that can touch it for civilians. 

That's great, and I do think it's is a good idea for young drivers to obtain further driver training/qualifications.

(I toyed with doing the IAM test a while back, but decided their driving style was very different to mine. RoSPA is better though, I decided my Racing School Instruction was adequate for me personally)

But I do fail to see how this will stop him being caught speeding, if he regularly drives at more than twice the motorway speed limit, then it is more than likely he will get more points, heck he's already got six at the age of 22, I was in my late 30's before getting my only speeding points.

No qualification will help you when you are caught doing those sorts of speeds, unless of course it is a legal qualification from Mr Loophole of course :lol:

My daily is a Peugeot 308 GTi.  In a straight line it's quicker and around corners due to the torsen slip diff there probably isn't much in it for an average driver but I still take the Boxster out at the weekend and when ever I am able to.   16 years of engineering progress! The 308 only has a 1.6 engine?.

9 hours ago, Loz987 said:

Agreed which is why he's now investigating RoSPA Gold certification? If he insists on driving fast, might as well have some roadcraft under his belt. Not a foolproof system, but for fast road driving awareness, not much out there that can touch it for civilians. 

The danger of driving fast isn't always your own driving, but the 99% of other road users who are complete morons.

You don't realise until you're a victim of it, then it's a game changer

I'm with Tex.  If he gets caught speeding, which seems to be the main concern with his job (as opposed to crashing) this will be of no benefit whatsoever.

Anyway, I can say that now I'm grey and crusty.  When I think back to some of the things I did... (shudders...)

Back to the original posting, most of the new brigade of hot hatches are a match for a Boxster straight line and twisties. I make no bones about it but on fast flowing roads in Europe the likes of a new Civic Type R, Megane 265/Cup/Trophy are an easy match if not faster than my mildly tuned 986 S. They have the advantage of more developed electronic systems and they do seem to lean on them a lot more than meets the eye. I've written before that on my last trip I swapped into the new Civic Type R and immediately was as quick if not quicker than my own car. These cars are much easier to learn to drive and you can drive nearer the limit more of the time for sure.

18 hours ago, Tex24v said:

That's great, and I do think it's is a good idea for young drivers to obtain further driver training/qualifications.

(I toyed with doing the IAM test a while back, but decided their driving style was very different to mine. RoSPA is better though, I decided my Racing School Instruction was adequate for me personally)

But I do fail to see how this will stop him being caught speeding, if he regularly drives at more than twice the motorway speed limit, then it is more than likely he will get more points, heck he's already got six at the age of 22, I was in my late 30's before getting my only speeding points.

No qualification will help you when you are caught doing those sorts of speeds, unless of course it is a legal qualification from Mr Loophole of course :lol:

What I love about forums is how people insert their own version of reality. I'm not sure there was any mention of this being regular., and interstingly, my take on RoSPA GOLD is that it will help him see the dangers and drive more responsibly knowing that he has greater reserves of capability than an average driver (once certified, of course). 

Still, all fun and games, and as for the chap who called BS, wow! Is your wife having an affair too? 

53 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

Still, all fun and games, and as for the chap who called BS, wow! Is your wife having an affair too? 

If you're talking to me, I don't have a wife - but interesting to see you've gone a bit childish here.

It's not responsible to take a photo while driving at (allegedly) 160mph on public roads - I'm not sure you're in the right age group if you expected a chorus of respect for your son for doing that - I'd rather believe someone would make it up than be that reckless.

Doesn't matter if you're an F1 Driver, if someone drives in your path unexpectedly at 160mph in a 10 year old Golf, you're either dead or having your bum wiped for you for the rest of your life.  To what end?

10 minutes ago, D8EAN said:

i had a mk4 golf GTI T, 150 bhp thought it was the dogs danglies

now got a S3 300 bhp, quick but runs out of puff a little at the top of the revs...... only a 2ltr

next up, RS6

Audi RS's are nice, but having had a stint in VW/Audi parts, I can certainly say they make the Porsche markup look quite bearable when you see the RS standard replacement parts!

Even the TT RS (circa 2009?) front discs were RRP £1000+ for a set.   a ten year old RS4 was around £900 a corner for struts.

Quite eye watering when you think that discs are a wear and tear item these days - you tend to get 2 sets of pads to a disc on a modern car.

Of course its easy in this day and age to screw whatever power you like out of an engine (especially a turbo) but that doesn't mean that you will be doing it in style. :thumbsup_still:

Anybody who drives at 160 at any time and anywhere on public roads in the UK is a dick head end of. And if you drive around at silly speeds don't start whinging when this happens to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/sep/05/norfolk-police-footage-fatal-motorcycle-crash-video

16 minutes ago, topradio said:

Of course its easy in this day and age to screw whatever power you like out of an engine (especially a turbo) but that doesn't mean that you will be doing it in style. :thumbsup_still:

Anybody who drives at 160 at any time and anywhere on public roads in the UK is a dick head end of. And if you drive around at silly speeds don't start whinging when this happens to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/sep/05/norfolk-police-footage-fatal-motorcycle-crash-video

Or...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/devastated-mum-young-woman-killed-7928407

2 hours ago, Loz987 said:

What I love about forums is how people insert their own version of reality. I'm not sure there was any mention of this being regular., and interstingly, my take on RoSPA GOLD is that it will help him see the dangers and drive more responsibly knowing that he has greater reserves of capability than an average driver (once certified, of course).

I see what you did there, pretended to have a go at me, for something that you have just done yourself. You highlighted the word regularly, altering the emphasis of my sentence, whilst ignoring the previous two words. Which were written with equal emphasis.

Please don't alter my wording to meet your own agenda.

As for the RoSPA training teaching him to drive more responsibly, I expect the justice system/police probably hoped giving him six points might of had the same effect?

Anyway, I don't wish to have an argument, this isn't that sort of forum either. I wish you and your son well.

I've got a Saab 9-3 TTID with a remap. (230bhp and 375 pounds foot torque) in a straight line it would be quicker than my 2.7 boxster and motorway driving is a doddle with all the torque. Gets 60mpg on the motorway too. 

It's nowhere near as fun as the boxster though. Steering has no feedback, brakes are too assisted and it doesn't have that gorgeous exhaust note the boxster has. I'd happily pay twice the fuel costs and take the boxster !

11 minutes ago, Ricky850r said:

I've got a Saab 9-3 TTID with a remap. (230bhp and 375 pounds foot torque) in a straight line it would be quicker than my 2.7 boxster and motorway driving is a doddle with all the torque. Gets 60mpg on the motorway too. 

It's nowhere near as fun as the boxster though. Steering has no feedback, brakes are too assisted and it doesn't have that gorgeous exhaust note the boxster has. I'd happily pay twice the fuel costs and take the boxster !

And isn't that just the point.....it's not all to do with outright speed, I fear a lot of the newer generation of "road warriors" get their thrills from the blur rather than the feel.

9 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

And isn't that just the point.....it's not all to do with outright speed, I fear a lot of the newer generation of "road warriors" get their thrills from the blur rather than the feel.

For me it is. That's why I bought it. I went from Glasgow to Aberdeen for a couple of nights this weekend with my wife. Then back down to Glasgow via aviemore on Monday. Lots of hills, twist, great views. The Saab would have been more comfortable and better on fuel but we took the Porsche because it's just much more fun. 

Even managed to get the roof down a few times ! 

I had a think about that, as we were all speed demons when younger (probably) and chased speed - but outright speed wasn't so available, or if it was it was a lot slower.  I think what they value is being first, winning, either on the road or at the bar.  But what they lose is, as you say, the feel.  I always remember with my first car, a cheap Caterham copy, I would take it out alone around the Surrey lanes at 1am and have a great laugh tearing round the bends. Even if I'd get out-dragged by a 2.0 Sierra during the day, it was still fun by itself. Whereas these days, I'm guessing the thrill is in beating someone else, rather than driving for its own sake.

After a long day out with a sales guy and at the office and a late leaving do, I went home had a shower, touched base with the people who matter and then went out, put the roof down, and went for a drive in the box. It was just for the pleasure of a few twisties and the exhaust note burble that turns to scream in 2nd and 3rd well within the national limit. 

Lokong forward to a nice ride out south on the weekend too. It's a joy by its self, and a joy shared with a love one. It is not for racing. Maybe you guys with the S or newer "more assisted" cars have that to play with...

Archived