Eclipsed by a GTI - no longer a legend

Mr96er

So my son has just bought a golf. Sends me this picture of the clocks... They go up to 180mph!!!! What the heck!? I thought, then he sends me a pic with the needle at almost 160mph! 

Seems a bit odd that a golf GTI mk5 would absolutely d1ck a Porsche Boxster. I'm guessing the 2.7 would be left behind not sure about the 3.2 but then an r32 golf probably blows them into the weeds ?

Fortunately it's not about speed for me, but a 57 Plate golf pushing a Boxster down the road is an unhealthy image...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Resetting the clocks.

These do 120-130 with very little effort in standard guise, an ed30 would be faster with the k04 turbo. Then extra power is even easier.

Theyre a bit boring to drive, very little driver feedback, but a really refined car with great power delivery.

I would think with the torque of the flat six a boxster would be all over a standard Golf 2.0 turbo. Even edition 30' 230hp standard. Modified might be a bit different but when the 2 litre reachs 150 you will have waved good bye in the rear view mirror . :D

Same engine as I have in my a3 which is mapped to just under 240 bhp.  Easily a match for the boxster in a straight line but won't last past the first corner in the twisties.  It has more torque than the boxster as well and at lower revs, why do you think porsche went to a 2/2.5 turbo? 

Engine wise plenty of mods are easy and relatively inexpensive.  Bigger intercooler,  bigger turbo,  free flowing exhaust care all pretty much bolt on mods and with a remap will see it well over 300bhp.   The S3 version can take it over 500bhp with new heads and other mods. I doubt the chassis can handle it though and you'd need the four wheel drive to put it down without skating all over the road.   

First post says R32, althought title says GTi? Looks like 1.30am.

Hopefully in Germany on an unrestricted Autobahn... :huh:

Cheers, Baggers.

11 hours ago, Loz987 said:

So my son has just bought a golf. Sends me this picture of the clocks... They go up to 180mph!!!! What the heck!? I thought, then he sends me a pic with the needle at almost 160mph!

Seems a bit odd that a golf GTI mk5 would absolutely d1ck a Porsche Boxster. I'm guessing the 2.7 would be left behind not sure about the 3.2 but then an r32 golf probably blows them into the weeds ?

Fortunately it's not about speed for me, but a 57 Plate golf pushing a Boxster down the road is an unhealthy image...

The R32 MkV does really go...we've got one!

3 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Are you sure he hasn't done that using VCDS or something to activate the speedo?  Here is a pic of my 996 speedo with the car sat in the garage:

speedo1.jpg

How big is your garage?!   :)

8 hours ago, mike597 said:

Same engine as I have in my a3 which is mapped to just under 240 bhp.  Easily a match for the boxster in a straight line but won't last past the first corner in the twisties.  It has more torque than the boxster as well and at lower revs, why do you think porsche went to a 2/2.5 turbo? 

Engine wise plenty of mods are easy and relatively inexpensive.  Bigger intercooler,  bigger turbo,  free flowing exhaust care all pretty much bolt on mods and with a remap will see it well over 300bhp.   The S3 version can take it over 500bhp with new heads and other mods. I doubt the chassis can handle it though and you'd need the four wheel drive to put it down without skating all over the road.   

Sorry to wander off topic but I have an A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Quattro putting out almost 200bhp as standard. Which remap did you use?

6 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Are you sure he hasn't done that using VCDS or something to activate the speedo?  Here is a pic of my 996 speedo with the car sat in the garage:

speedo1.jpg

...and that's my defence your Honour.

17 hours ago, Loz987 said:

Three considerations:

- The max speed on the speedo is more about marketing than potential.

- The actual position of the needle is about calibration; by 160mph, it's going to be around 20% out.

- Top speed is more about gearing than acceleration.  Long gearing isn't always going to be very swift.

But based on that photo, as the image is cropped (doesn't fit either landscape or portrait ratio) to, I assume, hide the tachometer, I call BS.

my SUV is faster than my Boxster S, but I know what's more fun to drive.

having said that, I'll bet that most people would be faster on the twisty lanes in a (equivalent performing) hot hatch than in a Boxster  

2 hours ago, lawrencequinn said:

Sorry to wander off topic but I have an A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Quattro putting out almost 200bhp as standard. Which remap did you use?

Revo.  Same engine but manual. 

28 minutes ago, Jonnyspin said:

my SUV is faster than my Boxster S, but I know what's more fun to drive.

having said that, I'll bet that most people would be faster on the twisty lanes in a (equivalent performing) hot hatch than in a Boxster  

All depends if you know how to carry speed through the corners or not.   This morning I had a fiesta st up my chuff on a winding road I know fairly well suffice to say fast as the fiesta is on the straight  he couldn't carry that speed through the bends at all.  One particular corner I know I can comfortably navigate at 80 and not really be even close to the edge and I think he was somewhere around 55-60 and looked to be hanging on for dear life. Obviously I was no where near 80 this morning :)  

10 hours ago, bagss2 said:

First post says R32, althought title says GTi? Looks like 1.30am.

Hopefully in Germany on an unrestricted Autobahn... :huh:

Cheers, Baggers.

Read it carefully and you'll see where you've got confused...

The car is tuned. My son did his apprenticeship at VW, he's working his way into an F1 pit. Next week he's at Santa Pod to show off his wares. 330bhp on the road as is. He's hoping for more...

Archived