Popped along to Dick Lovett OPC Today

the baron

Test drove the 718 2.0 and 2.5 S variants, must say came away very impressed, quick, planted, and sounded great too, Porsche have done a great job and I am seriously considering pulling the trigger, I would also go for the 2.0, plenty of power for what I need.

The only negative is, it is a huge car compared to my little 986.

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Test drove the 718 2.0 and 2.5 S variants, must say came away very impressed, quick, planted, and sounded great too, Porsche have done a great job and I am seriously considering pulling the trigger, I would also go for the 2.0, plenty of power for what I need.

After my 986 i find the 718 2ltr. engine a big jump in performance . On the road I wouldn't know which engine was in the car I fond very little between them. Maybe if you do track daysYou might go for the 'S'. Interesting what you say re size. Ive just had a look and 986 is 4315 in length'1780 in width and 1290 in height. The 718 is 4379 in length, 1994 in width (inc. mirrors)and 1281 mm in height. When I washed the car this week it seemed a lot bigger.

1 hour ago, ians said:

After my 986 i find the 718 2ltr. engine a big jump in performance . On the road I wouldn't know which engine was in the car I fond very little between them. Maybe if you do track daysYou might go for the 'S'. Interesting what you say re size. Ive just had a look and 986 is 4315 in length'1780 in width and 1290 in height. The 718 is 4379 in length, 1994 in width (inc. mirrors)and 1281 mm in height. When I washed the car this week it seemed a lot bigger.

The 981 and 718 are a lot wider than the 986 and 987 but if you get retractable mirrors, a must to fit my garage, then you can knock 100mm off the extra width?

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

The 981 and 718 are a lot wider than the 986 and 987 but if you get retractable mirrors, a must to fit my garage, then you can knock 100mm off the extra width?

I did and your right. My garage is tight and driving it in and out takes a lot of care.

The 718 and 981 are both just 1801mm wide excluding the door mirrors (which BTW fold even if you don't get the electric ones), which compared to 1780mm for the 986 mean that both newer models are in fact less than an inch wider in the car body than the original 986, although the 718 mirrors are slightly larger than those on the 981. And the difference in length from 986 to 718 is only about 2.5 inches.

I think the apparent difference in size is more of an illusion because of the different proportions - all the extra length has extended the wheelbase but not the overhangs (in fact as the standard wheels and wheelarches have got larger, the overhangs outside the wheel arches must actually be smaller than on the earlier cars.

My 981 (very close in size to a 718) definitely looks larger than my old 986, but putting it into my garage confirms that the real difference in size is not as much as it looks.

An "illusion". I think thats right.The wings and rear appear to have swallowed some steroids after 14yrs driving a 986. The 718 just looks so much wider and longer.

2 hours ago, Jason986S said:

It's good to know the 718 is lower in height. I hate it when cars get taller. 

DL OPC is Blagrove Swindon isn't it?

They also operate the Tewkesbury OPC

All above correct. I live a few miles away. I don't visit the DL Porsche and Ferrari dealerships often though as I can't be trusted not to buy. I'm really happy with my 987c.2 but there is always something newer and 'better' but crucially more £££s ?

23 hours ago, Tim_ said:

All above correct. I live a few miles away. I don't visit the DL Porsche and Ferrari dealerships often though as I can't be trusted not to buy. I'm really happy with my 987c.2 but there is always something newer and 'better' but crucially more £££s ?

I live about 10miles away from you.

On 29 July 2016 at 8:31 AM, the baron said:

Interesting tests of the Porsche 2.0 and 2.5 litre turbo engines in Autocar magazine this week, the conclusion seems to be that the 2.0 is nearly as quick as the 2.5 so save yourself £9,000 and get the smaller engine.

When comparing the new 4 cylinder turbo to the flat 6 engine they say:-

" if this test was held 6 months ago, I'd tell you that it has a rev-happy, sonorous engine note to die for. Today, dear reader, it does not."

and

"that's where the shame lies, although today's engine delivers more power and torque thereby making it faster in plain terms, this is a sports car, and efficiency be damned. An engine is meant to excite as well as propel"

"We should definitely mourn the passing of the six cylinder engine, but the new turbo engine beats it on every metric apart from the subjective quality of 'soul'"

Having driven the 718 I agree with their findings and have to say, I will be keeping my exciting, sonorous and soulful flat 6 GTS until Porsche see the error of their ways and put the flat 6 engine back in the Boxster!

Archived