opening bonnet using emergency wire?

alank

Hi, have just been looking through my Manual for my 2003 S, and cant find anywhere that mentions releasing Bonnet using the wire that is behind wheel arch, in the case of a flat battery needing access to it to charge/replace.

Is this feature not on a 2003 S, or have I missed it in the manual.  Thanks

2 hours ago, alank said:

Hi, have just been looking through my Manual for my 2003 S, and cant find anywhere that mentions releasing Bonnet using the wire that is behind wheel arch, in the case of a flat battery needing access to it to charge/replace.

Is this feature not on a 2003 S, or have I missed it in the manual.  Thanks

Easiest way to find out:   Remove the passenger side headlight, and look to see if the cable is danging around behind the wheelarch liner.

I think CJ is correct , Im sure I've seen the wire loop behind the headlight once removed .......  but then you'd have to lift bonnet to remove headlight with release key !!!  ???

19 minutes ago, Mike G said:

I think CJ is correct , Im sure I've seen the wire loop behind the headlight once removed .......  but then you'd have to lift bonnet to remove headlight with release key !!!  ???

You're supposed to access the cable from behind the wheel arch liner though.

His question I took as "what if" rather than matter of fact.

1 hour ago, cj225 said:

You're supposed to access the cable from behind the wheel arch liner though.

His question I took as "what if" rather than matter of fact.

I think it was on the drivers side though , on a RH drive, That was where I remember seeing it

29 minutes ago, Mike G said:

I think it was on the drivers side though , on a RH drive, That was where I remember seeing it

Should always be on the LHS of the car, unless someone intentionally routed it to the wrong side.

• 5 weeks later...

the release for the bonnet can be accessed behind front right wheel there is only one moveable piece of plastic liner. top right in wheel arch feel behind plastic liner for a clutch type cable grip firmly and pull steadily you should hear the catch release, then you are in, I have actually done this without going near the lights I assume the same  system exists in the rear but have not had to try it. good luck guys

7 hours ago, zinclair said:

the release for the bonnet can be accessed behind front right wheel there is only one moveable piece of plastic liner. top right in wheel arch feel behind plastic liner for a clutch type cable grip firmly and pull steadily you should hear the catch release, then you are in, I have actually done this without going near the lights I assume the same  system exists in the rear but have not had to try it. good luck guys

Thought so.... thats the side mine is  

Yep mine's on the off side/drivers side (UK car) & well worth finding it so you know where it is when you really need it. There is one on the rear too but I can't remember which side I found it on when I fitted my parking sensors.

• 4 weeks later...

Another method for opening the bonnet when the battery's flat, at least on my 2003 S model, is to open the small fuse box on the inside of the cabin by the drivers door and pull out the red button with an image of the bonnet on it; it will pull out perhaps an inch or so and is located towards the bottom cluster of fuses (instructions for this should be included in a small piece of paper found folded up on the rear of the fuse box lid). Connect the positive cable from the jump lead to this red button and the negative to your door handle. Pass a current through the leads and activate the bonnet release at the same time. Bonnet should pop up. You now have access to the battery.

I posted on this before when her indoors locked the keys in the boot ffs!!!

i have now identified both release cables and positioned just so that you can access without tearing stuff apart and in a position that you know where they are but not obvious for the ill informed, top tip methinks?!

Archived