986 Tuning fork (part of control arm)

mxm1275

Hi all

It's been a while since I posted on BoXa, so I thought I'd better check in and say hi.

I want to change the front control forks on my 986 as I suffer with the dreaded clunk/ clonk at low speeds from the frunk end. 

Last year I improved matters by pumping each ball joint on the fork with CV grease to prove the point as a temporary repair (now silent when cold and mildly worse when hot weather) but as the grease squishes out, the clunk can be heard at low speeds on a warm (16 plus degrees) day. 

£100 of so per side seems to be the fee to sort this problem out for a few thousand miles or so.

I also see that design911.co.uk sell an upgraded unit for 90 quid or so.  This item seems to be the way to go since the standard item seems to affect so many cars with the clunk/ clonk(just google the problem).

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod5220/Control-Arm-Rear-and-Front-Porsche-986---996---997-GT3-Motorsport-Version/

I'm thinking that a bulk purchase may help lower costs for forum members, if we made the correct approach.  Who would be interested in a bulk discount purchase offer to a supplier?

These forks are the same on the front suspension for all 986 Boxsters.

Let me know if you'd be interested in a bulk deal approach...

As above it may be worth refurbing these arms now. Hartech certainly used to retail refurb arms. Back in circa 2012 the front arms linked were less than 35 for a TRW one so they were disposable as a bush and labour would have cost more.

I have those polybushed arms. Whilst they are a good improvement over OE for track work, they squeak like hell. If the car is just for the road I would say stick with the OE arms.

All good points, but I'm really struggling to find these arms for 35.  The poly bushes apply to all other parts, but seemingly, not the ball joint on the end of the tuning fork... I might have look inside it.  It would be good to have a specific tuning fork repair kit...Then I could find someone with a press to remove and put in the new bushes.

Archived