ticking sound

alank

My S has a slight ticking noise on tickover (800 rpm) but goes at 1000 rpm and above , when warm ,but not their when moving. I noticed it more today as we had been for a run in this fantastic weather, and pulled up for my wife to post a letter and the door was open and top down and we were along side a hedge, so it probably was more noticeable.

From cold I get a ticking then it seems  to go after about a second. Sometimes a little more noisey if car not used for a while, but still goes after about a second or two. I am not really that bothered about it, I know about the lifters not filling with oil very quickly, causing a noise, etc

The engine has been rebuilt with new chains, guides, rings, Mains shells, and LN ims bearing, etc.in 2014  (10k ago) and runs great, no noises under load, or when high reving.

Just wondering what ideas anyone has, or if they experience a similar noise when warm.   I certainly wont be tearing the engine just yet. Thanks   alan

2 hours ago, alank said:

My S has a slight ticking noise on tickover (800 rpm) but goes at 1000 rpm and above , when warm ,but not their when moving. I noticed it more today as we had been for a run in this fantastic weather, and pulled up for my wife to post a letter and the door was open and top down and we were along side a hedge, so it probably was more noticeable.

From cold I get a ticking then it seems  to go after about a second. Sometimes a little more noisey if car not used for a while, but still goes after about a second or two. I am not really that bothered about it, I know about the lifters not filling with oil very quickly, causing a noise, etc

The engine has been rebuilt with new chains, guides, rings, Mains shells, and LN ims bearing, etc.in 2014  (10k ago) and runs great, no noises under load, or when high reving.

Just wondering what ideas anyone has, or if they experience a similar noise when warm.   I certainly wont be tearing the engine just yet. Thanks   alan

I had similar concerns with mine, I took it to Cotswold Porsche and they thought it sounded normal, they then started up a bunch of Boxster's and 911's which on the whole sounded worse than mine, so I pushed it to the back of my mind...

Mins had ticking that went away at high rpm and was obvious mostly on idle. It was one manifold gasket blowing on one outlet that sounded like a "tap tap tap" sound. A £5 gasket later and £20 in a mechanics pocket and my issues were over. I was fearing sticky hydraulic lifters and other nasties. Our engine are quite ticky anyway with the injectors and chains.

Sounds exactly the same as mine. Nothing when cold and only does it on tickover when warm. Switch the engine off (even for a couple of mins) restart and its quiet until you have driven for a couple of mins and then its back. We suspect a sticking follower on mine and when I bought it did an engine flush, oil change and added 2 bottles of wynns hydraulic valve lifter treatment. it didnt seem to make any difference straight away but gradually it seemed like it was getting quieter most of the time.

Did another engine flush and oil change last week and added more Wynns and it is definitely a lot better. In fact for most of today it was as quiet as a quiet thing on tickover, I think mine will get to the point that the oil way is clear and it will be silent all the time... fingers crossed anyway

Archived